hop transplant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrStrangeBrew

Reaction score
i had three cascade rhizomes planted them in the ground two grew and one didn't make it :( ive since dug them up roots and all and brought them to a different location because i moved. will they be ok and give me a second year yield? or am i just basically starting all over?

Was there a big tap root on them when you dug them up? I'm not sure but I think you may be starting over.

none of them really seemed to big "bigger"then the others and im kind new to it so im not really sure what tap roots is. so did i kill the plants and need to get new rhizomes?

You'll probably be fine as long as they did some growing last year as they are very efficient in producing enough energy to sustain top growth and an 'excess' to send down to the crown for the following season. You may lose a tiny bit of vigor due to the transplant but you'll most likely be at 2nd year's production level.

cool i hope i get a little more then last year i hoe the transplant doesnt hurt it too bad. only got an ounce or so off each one. wasnt hoping for much but is that normal for first year? i dug a huge hole like one you would bury somone in ( i didnt) and filled it with fresh soil used bone meal and blood meal and filled it with a ton of compost soil. and used organic insecticides. anything else i should be doing and/or stop doing to get more out of them? besides planting more. i have fuggles and mt. hood. the mt hood is new this year and the fuggle were from last year. planted those in pots. didnt produce any cones tho :mad:'

Latest posts

Back