Whirlpool through RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goybar

Reaction score
Hi All,

I plan on building a RIMS setup this year. Taking little steps as I go and funds become available.

I want to order all the Quick disconnects or Tri-Clamps in one shot to avoid additional shipping costs.

I want to whirlpool chill my wort. Can I whirlpool through the RIMS tube? Or do I need to remove the connections and hook up directly to the pump?

I currently do not have a dedicated brew stand with hard plumbing. That will probably not happen for some time.

Currently I do BIAB, so I will just recirculate the mash with my pump.

Later I will add the RIMS tube (ala SawDustGuy's). Continue with BIAB.

Eventually add element to BK.

Depending how things are working out a Mashtun.

Chris

You could, I don't. Simple reason is that I like to start clean up of the RIMS tube while the boil is going on. If you do you'd want to clean it first, more than likely you will have left wort inside of it after transferring to the BK. That wort and maybe some bits of grain have been sitting in the RIMS tube for 60-90 and it has not been boiled so not sure you want that in your beer.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I like the idea of cleaning up as you go, and I do not want to take the chance of off flavors.

I really have only been brewing German Lagers.

Chris

Thanks samc. I just had an epiphany. Well really an oh-**** moment. I've been cooling and whirlpooling with the RIMS in place. I do recirculate boiling wort through the whole system to sanitize though.

Back