Is 240bil cells too much for 20L 12*Plato ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
Several years ago (maybe Dec 2005) there was a show on The Brewing Network: The Sunday Session featuring Jamil. The topic was yeast. In part of the conversation Jamil is heard saying something like you need to pitch 240bil cells into 5 gal 12*plato wort. But if I read the new pitching calculator @ Mr. Malty correct, the amount is 177 billion. Is todays yeast much healthier to allow for lower pitching rates or was Jamil just putting out a "ballpark" figure in 2005? Can I pitch between 177bil and 240 bill in a 20L 1048 wort or do I need to be more exact?

Several years ago (maybe Dec 2005) there was a show on The Brewing Network: The Sunday Session featuring Jamil. The topic was yeast. In part of the conversation Jamil is heard saying something like you need to pitch 240bil cells into 5 gal 12*plato wort. But if I read the new pitching calculator @ Mr. Malty correct, the amount is 177 billion. Is todays yeast much healthier to allow for lower pitching rates or was Jamil just putting out a "ballpark" figure in 2005? Can I pitch between 177bil and 240 bill in a 20L 1048 wort or do I need to be more exact?

5 gallons is 19 liters, but 20,000 ml x 12 plato is 240,000 mlxplato and the old rule of thumb is 1 million cells per ml per degree plato so there is where you get 240 billion.

The pitching rate calculator will call for .75 million per ml per degree plato for ales, 1 million for hybrid and 1.5 million for lagers.

Back