Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesstjm

Reaction score
I am reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer and I confused on his section on Fermentation. He says that for non lagers a secondary fermentor is not necessary. He said he usually leaves it in the primary for 2 to 3 weeks.

Then in the next section he talks about how some people cold crash there beer for a couple days to clear it up?

I ordered a double IPA from Midwestern. Usually I have the primary fermentor and then after a week or so I move to glass carboy for secondary.

Can I just leave in primary for three weeks and keg?
What about cold crashing? Do I do that in primary?

There are thousands of differing opions on racking to secondary. A lot of people on here say it's not necassary and a lot say it is. I personally rack to secondary. I think it's more about preference. I do believe that if you are going to cold crash though, you need a secondary vessel. Jut my $.02.

Yes you can leave it in the primary; I have a gluten free IPA I'm making right now that's 2 1/2 weeks in the primary and still going slowly (fermenting). It should be finishing up any day now. I've done both ways...used a secondary container and left it in.

As far as cold crashing...I've never done it but I don't see how the container would matter. I would think that if you go to the trouble of doing it you would want it off the gross lees or trub so a secondary would make sense. :)

I just want to make sure I understand. If I am not cold crashing. I could ferment in primary for 2.5 - 3 weeks and go right to keg?

Time is your friend...

As long as fermentation is done (hydrometer is also your friend), you can go to keg...

If you can cold crash, I would suggest it, as it will help clear your beer... If you can't, you will have beer that may not be as clear...

Let us know how it turns out!

Good luck :mug:

After fermentation is complete you can keg your beer. If you do cold crash is is best to get the beer off the yeast cake and into a secondary. However if you use whirlfloc tablets or Irish moss in your boil, you probably won't need to cold crash as your beer should already be clear.

I cold crash in the primary, sometimes add gelatin after a couple of days, then rack to keg after a week or so.

Cold crashing in primary is fine. I do this all the time. After fermentation (14-21 days) bring your temp down to a few degrees above freezing for 3-5 days then keg/bottle.

Back