Looking for this clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Ok, my father in-law absolutely loves Odell brewing Co.s 5 barrel pale ale.

Does anyone know where i can find a recipe for that? i have looked everywhere i know of.

What do you think they would say to me if i called them and asked what they used in their recipe for it? Get bent? I know sometimes breweries give out ingredients just not weights of ingredients.

Where do i go from here?

I went for a tour there when I was in Fort Collins back in August. It was a good place and seemed like a pretty cool bunch of guys. Give them a call, they won't tell you the recipe exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you what types of grain/hops they use. Or like you said at the very worst, they'll tell you to get bent. If they give you what they use, a lot of us on here could maybe have an idea of proportions of each if you're unsure.

Well, we shall find out if they tell me to get bent hopefully soon. i just fired off an email to them.

I think this was very very nice of the folks at Odell Brewing.

Here is the email.

Thank you very much for your compliment.

Here is the list of ingrdients for 5 Barrel:
Malts: Pale, ESB, Crystal, and Munich
Bittering Hop: Cascade
Finishing Hops: Fuggles, First Gold, Glacier, Willammette, and Centennial.
We use whole flower hops in the hop back and and for dry hopping 5 Barrel.
The yeast is a top-fermenting ale yeast.

Good luck with the homebrewing!

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Joni

Wow, I honestly never thought i would hear back from them. I only sent the original email yesterday.

After looking at the ingredients can i get some suggestions on amounts from the brew wizards here?

Thanks

Bump

Nothing?!

Bird-cheese-chimone-kia-----------------and on and on. Nothing?

ok, i shall formulate and post what i am thinking.

be back!

By the way what the hell is ESB malt?

Sorry, I've never had that beer before. I'm not a clone-making expert by any means. And, I've never heard of ESB malt either.

Sorry!

im not usually a clone making guy either, but when the in-law puts in a request, especially one that takes you to canada every year for a week of fly in fishing, you make what he requests. that and i actually get along with him real well.

no i dont, i am heading to the inlaws tomorrow and will evaluate it then. I can tell you it has about the same IBU as SNPA, which is not alot, but it has a bit more hop flavor and alot more hop aroma.

ok, found the ESB pale malt. Here is the descritption:

Gambrinus ESB Pale
"Extra Special British" pale malt has been produced for brewers seeking a domestic malt with the unique flavor imparted by British pale malt.

Brewer's Malt Moisture
% Max. Color °L Protein
Total Max. Extrac
Dry Min. Usage
Rate %

ESB Pale 4.0--- 3-4 ---11.0 ---82.0 ---up to 100 %

what can i substitute for this so i do not have to but a 55lb bag of it incase it sucks. or should i sack up and just buy it. seems like a nice versitale malt.

Reverend JC said:
ok, found the ESB pale malt. Here is the descritption:

Gambrinus ESB Pale
"Extra Special British" pale malt has been produced for brewers seeking a domestic malt with the unique flavor imparted by British pale malt.

Brewer's Malt Moisture
% Max. Color °L Protein
Total Max. Extrac
Dry Min. Usage
Rate %

ESB Pale 4.0--- 3-4 ---11.0 ---82.0 ---up to 100 %

what can i substitute for this so i do not have to but a 55lb bag of it incase it sucks. or should i sack up and just buy it. seems like a nice versitale malt.
My guess is that ESB malt is another name for Marris Otter. This a fairly common malt used in British brews. It's good stuff that you can use as a base malt for all your brews. You wouldn't go wrong getting a 55 lb. sack. SNPA bittering level is around 37 IBU too.

I was in Nebraska last week and they had this beer in the grocery store there...

I picked two to drink with my room service one evening and I ended up picking up a 6er of the 5-Barrel to bring back to PA in my luggage. Very good beer...

I think it was awesome they handed out the ingredient list, but cloning it would just be a guess, especially with the complex list of ingredients and the extreme dry hopping they do at the end... You could probably attempt to brew a clone 10-25 times with that ingredient list and never hit the 5-Barrel on the head. Probably get close, but who knows...

Hopefully somebody will have a clone that is tried and true... Otherwise, start playing around. :)

I am out of it at home right now and have two parties today to go to. I wont have time to pick any up but tomorrow i will have a few in hand and will attempt to formulate it after giving it a really good analysis. The SRM, bitterness, aroma and flavoring. I most likely wont get it right the first time, but it is something i will keep trying for.

If you look at thier website the mention that they rinse the wort through a filter filled with wet hops. unfortunately they dont say which hop it is. oh well, i think it was very cool of them to tell me what they did!

Promash does not have marris otter or ESB as a malt to choose. which one should i choose to emulate that for my recipe?

just use the english pale (2-row) entry and up the color to 3.5-4.5 L

or just use any 2-row entry and tell the luv rating to take a hike :mug:

Reverend JC said:
If you look at thier website the mention that they rinse the wort through a filter filled with wet hops. unfortunately they dont say which hop it is. oh well, i think it was very cool of them to tell me what they did!

I think they are using a hop back. I am considering adding one to my brewery.

Back