Bottles in Dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acfixr

Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle my first batch. I have read alot about sticking the bottles in the dishwasher and running it to sanitize the bottles. Only problem is, I can only get a case and a half in the dishwasher. Can I stick my newly sanitized bottles in the case they came out of upside down and run the remaining twelve thru the dishwasher, or do I need to fill what it is in the dishwasher, then run the rest thru and finish bottling? Thanks.

I've never run mine through the dishwater but I am under the impression that it is the heat that sanitizes them. Make sure you do NOT use soap. I am not sure the lag time in between running the dishwasher but you're probably going to be fine leaving the bottles right side up. I do this and just dump out any excess water right before filling the individual bottles.

yes you be fine, i wash my bottles in the dishwasher all the time. if you put those bottles up side down back in the case you going to be fine.

I use the dishwasher method and love it. I'm able to easily get 2 cases in mine and could do maybe another half a case. I squeeze them in there pretty tight, all upside down.

It is important you don't use soap, especially the jet dry stuff. It dries faster because it leaves a hydrophobic film on the dishes. That on your bottle ruins the head retention of your beer and can impart off flavors.

Get as many as you can in there, because I found setting the bottling bucket over the edge of the counter so the bottling wand hangs pointing toward the open dishwasher door saves a LOT of time on cleanup. You're going to spill some (sometimes those gravity valves get stuck). It's better to spill into the dishwasher, and all the bottles are right there ready for you.

If you can't get them all in there no matter what you do, take the remainder and sanitize in Star San or whatever your normal sanitizer is. Fill those first so they spend less time in the open air, then move to the ones in the dishwasher.

Good luck!

I agree with what's been posted above. If you decide to do it in two loads because it won't fit, I would reverse the order and run the dozen, then run the bulk of the bottles. I bottled yesterday and realized I was a couple bottles short so I used star san on those so you could do the same with the extra dozen if that's easier (or if you feel guilty running the dishwasher for a dozen bottles...)

I'll use the dishwasher sometimes, but I don't trust the water jets to able to reach every part of every bottle, so I only do it when I think they are almost clean enough anyway, and then use the santize cycle to get rid of the bugs that are there. Then, I'll store my bottle away in the garage in a plastic tote, and santize them again with Starsan right before I bottle.

Never been one for the dishwasher. It's the inside of the bottles that really counts and don't see how a dishwasher is going to clean that.

If the water get's to 180 degrees I'd agree that should sanitize your bottles just as good as a no rinse.

Thanks for the quick reply's. Unfortunately, I had already started the d.w. when I posted my question, so the dozen will have to be later.

The dishwasher should only be done for sanitizing after the bottles are already clean. There is no way that jets would contact the inside of every bottle long enough for them to be considered clean. For sanitizing remove all soap and jet dry. And make sure the drains of your dishwasher are clean. No old food, or soap buildup I guarantee there is some nasty stuff down there. Take out the main gunk then run it once or twice on super hot with a cup or two of white vinegar to clean it up.

I'll use the dishwasher sometimes, but I don't trust the water jets to able to reach every part of every bottle, so I only do it when I think they are almost clean enough anyway, and then use the santize cycle to get rid of the bugs that are there. Then, I'll store my bottle away in the garage in a plastic tote, and santize them again with Starsan right before I bottle.
I've never understood this. Why do you sanitize them twice?

I've never understood this. Why do you sanitize them twice?

Overkill!

I do 10 gallon batches and cannot fit 100 bottles in my dishwasher, I have to do it in batches. So, I wash by hand, then throw them in the dishwasher for a final rinse. Since I have the sanitize button, I use it, but I don't want to rely on it. As I said, I don't think a dishwasher actually gets all the bottles anyway. But I figure this gets everything as clean as possible, and all the old yeasties gone.

Since the bottle have been sitting around for a few days/weeks though when I come to bottle, any sanitation that I did prior has long since gone. Santitation only removes MOST of the bugs, and the ones that are left can regrow. So, I have to do it again anyway. A quick squirt of starsan from the vinator then onto the bottle tree.

If I bottled in the kitchen and could use the dishwasher as a rack, I might change, but this set up works for me right now.

BTW - I like overkill. I have thought about bringing my bottles to work and autoclaving them...

I did a test run with my dishwasher the other day, because I was curious about the sanitize function on it. Seems to work pretty well, and learned a valuable lesson too! Dont touch the bottles once it is done! Man are those things hot! I know I know DUH <here is your sign>

Back