Getting A Pump-Did Some Homework

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Here's what I have found.

OVERVIEW
There are MANY 809 pumps; several in a plastic head, several in a brass head and several in a SS head. There are two HP ratings, 1/25HP, and 1/100HP. Beware of 12 and 24 VDC motors-it's not worth the hassle to use a transformer. There are also 230VAC versions-don't bother.

MOTORS
The 809 is an 80 watt motor.
There is also a 809-815 pump. This is an 85 watt version of the 809 motor. These pump 8 gallons per minute at 3450 RPM. Price is about 40 dollars more than the 809.

PUMPS-115VOLT

POLYSULPHONE PUMPS
The 809-PL is a polysulphone head pump. 1/2"MPT on both ports. This is a 1725RPM pump. 1/100 HP. 3 gallons per minute.

The 809-PL-HS is the polysulphone head pump. 1/2"MPT on both ports. This is a 3450RPM pump. 1/25 HP. 7.2 gallons per minute.

The 809-PL-HS-C-115V is a center inlet polysulphone pump. 3/4"mpt inlet, 1/2"MPT outlet. 3450 RPM. 1/25HP. 7.2 gallons per minute. Price is stillcomparable to teh other polysulphone pump, but has the large center inlet, high speed and 1/25HP.

BRASS PUMPS
The 809-BR-C is the center inlet brass version. The center inlet is 3/4"MPT, instead of 1/2"MPT like most other models. This pump runs 725RPM. 1/100HP. It pumps 3 gallons per minute.

The 809-BR-115 is the brass side inlet version. It has 1/2"MPT on both ports. This pump runs at 1725RPM so it pumps 3 gallons a minute. 1/100HP. I have to guess that this is much harder to prime, due to the smaller inlet, than the 809-BR-C, yet pumps the same.

The 809-BR-HS is a brass side inlet version. It has 1/2"MPT on both ports. This pump runs at 3450RPM-hence the HS designation for high speed, and pumps 7.2 gallons per minute. 1/25HP.

There is a 809-BR-HS-C pump, center inlet head. 3450RPM. 1/25HP. Pumps 7.2 gallons per minute. More than double the price of the others.

I will not bother with the SS head version of March Pumps.

VENDOR OFFERINGS

AHBS has the 809-PL-HS pump for 153.95 with cord, plug and bracket. 1/25HP, 3450RPM. Flat rate shipping.

More Beer has the 809-HS-PL, with cord, plug, and bracket for 153.95, on sale for -20% this week only. Promo: STMPUMP09 This qualifies for free shipping.

Northern Brewer has the 809-HS-PL with cord, plug, and bracket for 140.99

Tesco has the 809-PL-HS for 122.25 Apparently no cord, plug or bracket.
Tesco has the 809-PL-HS-C for 116.99 with cord, plug and bracket.

I may have made an error in all of this and invite any corrections, so that we will have this all in one thread, saving anyone else who is looking for a pump, the time.

Now, what do I really want? :confused:

I have been looking at the 809-PL-HS-C from tesco as it seems to be the best deal, but I am not sure if I am missing something? Any + or - to the center inlet?

I have a center inlet on my iwaki pump. I really like it and it seems to help the pump prime a lot easier.

Mike

According to my spec sheet, this should be:
3400RPM, 1/25HP, 5.3 GPM and 5.0 PSI Max

My info from here:

http://www.pumpbiz.com/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=pump_model_detail&product_id=4957&series_id=296

Your data listed here:

http://www.pumpvendor.com/media/march/pdf/809_815_series.pdf

You are correct. I had an unintended hot key incident while applying headings-edited.

Still a slight difference in specs between sources. The catalog info lists HS as 90 watts....

I went with the MoreBeer deal. Here's why:

8 ft cord with plug, as opposed to the 809-HS-PL-C at Tesco for 116.99 + 12.00 shipping, this was a 3' cord, no plug. Center inlet would have been nice, but it would have mandated a 3/4"-1/2" reducer.

123.16 shipped.

Thanks for the info! That's a damn good price on the pump...I bought mine at B3 a couple months ago and it was around $145! I highly recommend the 1/2" silicone tubing and some quick disconnects from McMaster to go with the pump. Brewing with a pump is just a pleasure!

Good writeup!

Several SS heads? Where? I only know of the one at B3:

March Pump - With High Temp Stainless Steel Housing | MoreBeer

Kal

Info here, but lousy prices.

809 & 815 Circulating Pumps 4-8gpm - March Magnetic Pump

The SS head pump with pipe thread ports and a tri-clover sanitary port version are at one of the online HBS's, I forget which one now.

Had I not gotten a nice deal on the 809-PL-HS, I would have gone with a brass head version to try and avoid the possibility of breakage. But replacement heads are fairly cheap and not so cumbersome to buy, as buying the pump you want, with the cord, plug and bracket and a decent price and shipping is a PITA. Finding a replacement head if I need to, is simple.

Yup. About $100 more than B3. Thanks for the site.

The SS head pump with pipe thread ports and a tri-clover sanitary port version are at one of the online HBS's, I forget which one now.
B3 has those. They have both the NPT (3/4" in, 1/2" out) stainless head March pump for $325:

5492.jpg

And the clover clamp (sanitary fittings) version for $395:

7115.jpg

Unless you're doing 100% sanitary everywhere (which means all connections have to be clover and you can't have *ANY* pipe threads in contact with beer), I don't understand why someone would go with sanitary fittings as you'd need to take apart the system from time to time to clean anyway. Good of them to offer options however. I like having options.

Kal

Back