Wyeast 3711 French Saison vs. White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterc

Reaction score
I brewed 11 gallons of Belgian Pale ale, OG 1.0046, and split it into 7.9 gallon buckets. In one I pitched Wyeast 3711 and fermented around 68 degrees. In the other I pitched White Labs WLP530 and fermented around 64 degrees.

Outcome:

FG:
Wyeast 3711: 1.004
White Labs WLP530: 1.0012

Taste:
Wyeast 3711: Dry with low esters/fruitiness, slightly spicy
Whitelabs WLP530: Balanced with moderate esters, more full mouth feel.

I'm amazed at the outcome of the 3711, greater than 90% attenuation. My BJCP style went off because of poor mash efficiency, I'm fairly new to all grain and refining my setup/process. My OG was .002 points low, the FG on the French Saison is .006 points low.

I'm writing this up as an illustration that choice of yeast can make a big difference, I'm happy with both beers.

Nice write-up. Thanks. I love stories about 3711. Using some right now to save a stuck fermentation. I hope it lives up to its hype.

Cheers!

I've used it on a cyser and had amazing results, Finished, dry, 15% alcohol cyser in 2 months, and as clear as white wine.

How does the yeast profile compare to the DuPont yeast? I've used that one for several saisons without experiencing the stalling that many people complain about until the most recent batch. Considering trying something new.

Back