NB all grain kit efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olz431

Reaction score
I picked up the grain for a dead guy clone at NB today, while there I saw a limited edition Dundalk Irish heavy extract kit. I asked if they had an AG version, they dont, but they used to, the guy was nice enough to pull up the AG recipe. so I gather all the grain for a 5 gal batch. I brew it after breaking a thermometer in the strike water and starting over. I got a little heavy on the water as this is my 3rd ag batch.
I started with 16 qts of strike and hit my 150 temp for an hour. I sparged with 2 gallons and then freaked out and added more sparge because I only got about 5 or 5,25 gallons of water in the pot. It turns out I shouldnt have added more water and shouldve been patient. I ended up with 7 gallons pre boil. i boiled for around 80 minutes and wound up with 1.065 wort at 5.5 gallons. the recipe calls for 5 gallons @ 1.062
Im not going to complain but I was curious if anyone knows what mash efficiency the NB instructions are calculated at since they are very vague.:rockin:

BTW it was a long fricking brew day, Started at 4, finished up at 12. I called in to work to do this and ended up doing the same amount or more of work. Sheesh!

I think it depends on equipment setup used. I'd guess it's probably 70-75%. I was just looking at the extract version of that brew. Looks pretty tasty. Care to share the recipe for you're AG version? :mug:

sure
9.25 lbs MO
.5 lb Simpsons caramalt
.25 lb English roasted barley
1 lb corn sugar flameout
1 oz summit 45 min
1 oz fuggle 10 min
wyeast 1968

Mash 150 for 60 min
mashout 170 for 5 min

I used my 10 gal round rubbermaid with steel braid loop.

I remember looking at the old AG instructions that someone had attached on a thread on this site and it was based on 70% efficiency.

sure
9.25 lbs MO
.5 lb Simpsons caramalt
.25 lb English roasted barley
1 lb corn sugar flameout
1 oz summit 45 min
1 oz fuggle 10 min
wyeast 1968

Mash 150 for 60 min
mashout 170 for 5 min

I used my 10 gal round rubbermaid with steel braid loop.

Sweet! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back