need help with label on an 8oz Coke bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlio250

Reaction score
i have bought a ton of these 8oz coca cola bottles as taste testers (for friends/family and to check carbonation) but i have no clue how to remove the labels, i dont know if they are screened on, printed, or glazed on

I've had all of them sitting in a starsan solution (1oz to 5gallons) for over 48 hours and it has had little to no effect on the label

here is a pic of the pack of them
6802_1_8b215a.jpg

please help if you can!

Sounds like they do whatever Stone does. I can't for the life of me get those labels off either.

Starsan doesn't do it for me. It works on some of the painted labels, but not all of them. I guess it depends on what kind of paint they used.

Soak in concentrated StarSan for 24hrs...then I use a carding wheel on a bench grinder. I got the wheel from a gunsmith who was tossing it. You can just use a soft wire wheel.

For a few, steel wool or scraping with a single edged razor would work. For tons of them I'd go with the wire wheel, just don't let them get too hot while your doing it.

update on my triumph!

went to walmart grabbed a fine wire brush bit for my drill, 10 minutes later a 6 pack of the 8 oz coke bottles were label free, i was surprised when it didnt so much as scratch the glass once

it only took a few minutes a bottle, will be a pain to do the other 18 tomorrow, but its worth it if you already have the bottles

and btw i tried this on ones that had NOT been sitting in starsan

i have bought a ton of these 8oz coca cola bottles as taste testers (for friends/family and to check carbonation) .......

I browsed across this post a couple of days ago and I really like the idea you have kewlio. So, naturally, the only reasonable thing is to go buy a six pack of the same and give it a shot.

I skipped right past using StarSan or bleach or OxyClean. A simple razor blade is all it takes. I used a square razor blade (a boxcutter blade would work just as well) and it took me all of three minutes to get a label clean off. It comes off as a powder and makes a little mess so I suggest doing it over newspaper or something. It's like scratching a lottery ticket....

After that all it took was a rinse in the sink with dish soap and it is good as new. BONUS: The razor will also work on the date/tracking info on the neck of the bottle.

Good luck I don't know how many 'a ton' is, but my six pack won't take longer than twenty minutes. I'll post a pic of the bottle when I get home.

P.S. I checked, and a regular crown cap does fit on and works with my usual capper.

Back