Odd AG thing going on right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinfiddler

Reaction score
OK, so I'm trying a Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops. I mash in and check the temp 151degF, close the lid and let it sit for 90min w/o checking. I open the MLT and to my shock, the temp is 143!!

I check for conversion with iodine and it hadn't yet turned. So I added more water to bring up the temps and closed to lid again this time for 30 min. Now when I check w/ iodine it keeps it's color but slowly changes over to black-not good.

Do I even bother proceding with this? Let is sit even longer?:(

hmm, well I never say die until the beer is just waaay past saving. In your case you will just have a very fermentable brew. I don't remember that recipe using too many $$ hops, so you may as well keep going.

Remember to pre-heat your MLT next time, I always put a few gallons of boiling water in mine for 30 minutes.

Yeah thanks, I DID preheat the MLT by placing the strike water at about 176degF, then let it cool to BeerSmith's indicated strike temp.

I just checked again and the iodine is "behaving" Dang, 2.5 hr mash. And I thought I'd be done and cleaned up by 3:00!!

After all that went on with the mash, I took the OG and noticed that I used double the amount of hops called for in the recipe-what a day.

It was supposed to by my first stab at a light beer. I don't think it will be terrible or anything- just not what I was shooting for.

Back