Pot for Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Reaction score
Just thinking of trying a test batch of brew with marijuana in with the hops. Seeing as they are from the same family I would think it would work, has anybody tried this and care to admit it? I would only brew a 1 gallon test batch as my preference is for hoppy IPA's a la Hop Head, Phillips IPA or Three Floyds Alpha King but thought that this could be an evening mellow out brew.

Thanks

I've done this before, and posted info about how best to do it. (what can I say?.... I was a crazy kid in college.)

Don't put it in the boil. THC is barely water soluable, and even HOT water helps very little to improve this.

Your best bet is to soak it in high-proof alcohol for a few days, and dump the resulting liquid into the beer at bottling time. This not only effectively dissolves it, but it also sanitizes the stuff and helps avoid a potentially expensive lost batch of beer... imagine putting the stuff in early, and then having the batch go bad before bottling? OUCH. By knowing that your beer is good at bottling time, you are adding the expensive ingredients at the latest possible point, and have the best chances of getting what you want.

-walker

t1master said:
why not just smoke it and have a beer at the same time?

I will, just trying to brew the right beer to have it with!! :drunk:

I have a issue of HighTimes at home that my step daughter gave me last time she was home. It had a recipe in it that called for, like 2 oz of the good stuff. I don't think I can afford that expensive of a brew

There was a long thread on this subject at the NB forum recently that I read with much interest. The general concensus among those who have tried it was that it was a waste of good weed.

But they did say that if you insisted on doing it that soaking it in liquor was the best way to go - as Walker described.

AHU

2nd Street Brewery said:
I have a issue of HighTimes at home that my step daughter gave me last time she was home. It had a recipe in it that called for, like 2 oz of the good stuff. I don't think I can afford that expensive of a brew

Yeah, I've got a "stepdaughter" that reads that mag also. :wink:

Back