Re-yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cee3

Reaction score
I'm planning a Belgian Tripel and have heard it's a good idea to re-yeast prior to bottling. I have a few questions on how to do that.

Should I make a pint starter a few days before bottling and add the yeast from that, along with the priming sugar, to the bottling bucket?

Is the yeast I use critical? I'll be using Wyeast 1388 to ferment the batch. Can I save some of the original 1388 starter to start the bottling starter a few weeks later? If not can I just do a starter from a dry yeast?

Thanks.

The bottling yeast doesn't matter. Lots of commercial Hefes are bottled w/lager yeast. Russian River bottles with a wine yeast even.....

If you're going to add yeast when you bottle look into krausening. I krausened a blonde w/basicly just a starter of DME.....carbed in like 3days!

I added dry yeast to my cooled priming sugar and water and just let it get a little fizzy, I then put that in the bucket and bottled as usual. It carbed a 14% ABV stout that was easily 2 % beyond the yeast's supposed capabilities.

Back