yeast nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug: I just brewed a Hefe using WLP 351 Bavarian Weisen. I am brewing 7.5 Gal batch so I saw a pack of yeast nutrient to add 1/2 tsp per gal. for vigorus fermenting. So far, it started by next morning sounding like a bass drum for over a day. Has anyone else used these nutrients to good success? Seems like a cheap alternative to making a starter. I think I will add this to every batch I make. It sure seemed to help get things started.:ban:

It's no substitute for a starter, in all likelihood. Most of the time, nutrients should not be required. Although, if you are an extract brewer, they definitely can't hurt, I suppose.

Are you certain there wasn't something else in your recipe/process that caused the vigorous ferment? It is often hard to attribute the cause to something like an unusually strong ferment if you are modifying more than one variable at a time in your brew.

For example, a high proportion of wheat in your recipe will make for massive krausen.

it's a hefe. they like to go nuts.

nutrients are no substitute for a good starter but like flyguy said they ARE good for extract brews.

what nutrient are you using?

It was one I picked up at my lbhs. Probably something they buy in bulk and then resell. I figure for 50 to 75 cents per batch it can't hurt.

WAIT! so is that why the AG guys that post up pics of their primaries have so much yeast left over? Bier Muncher's pics come to mind first....because they have a lot of extra nutrients lying around their beer?

Back