Skyrim and Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be in on making one of these as well. I like the idea of starting it now, then drinking it when I finish the game (or sooner depending).

As for the recipe, I have no idea other than I think we should use ingredients that can be found scattered around skyrim.

Possible ingredients:
-Dragons Tongue (was originally used as an antibiotic)
-Juniper
-Lavender (or Lavender honey if we can get it)
-Nightshade (a large family of plants, perhaps we could use Paprika or Wolfberries)
-Wheat (perhaps a Wheat Braggot)

the nightshade featured in game is clearly a toxic variety. Thorn apple I believe. It's included in the drink called a cliff racer (I assume) because it's a stimulant and mild psychotropic. Not because it's a good idea. But I dig what you're getting at.

both green and red apples are prominent in game, grapes exist, the sweetroll suggests cinnamon exists as well. just my two bits.

Mmm, yeah, nightshade not a good idea. Over at my step sisters place, there is TONS of foxglove. Apparently if your consume enough of it you will die a slow horrible death.

Just registered to say Skyrim influenced my decision to try mead and now my hand at home-brewing.

16L spring water
3L apple juice
~5kg local honey
~600g Manuka honey
fistful of cinnamon sticks
25g DAP
EC-1118 yeast

Now my pantry smells awesome!

Just registered to say Skyrim influenced my decision to try mead and now my hand at home-brewing.

16L spring water
3L apple juice
~5kg local honey
~600g Manuka honey
fistful of cinnamon sticks
25g DAP
EC-1118 yeast

Now my pantry smells awesome!

Awesome!

Great thread :) I'm thinking about using one of the Skyrim names for my 2 year old sweet mead (a blend of cranberry and orange blossom honey) I just botted. I'm not sure which name i'll use yet though.

Honningbrew is my vote for your meads name. Black briar is mentioned as containing both fruit and spices. Honningbrew has the potential to be a hydromel though I believe.

Hmm, sounds good. I was trying to remember if any "hints" had been dropped in-game regarding ingredients.

Besides rat poison? (Thieves guild reference :cross:)
I don't think there's a direct reference to ingredients... The storage barrels within and around the meaderies might provide a subtle hint, however I believe the loot is supposedly randomly generated. It seems to me that I found large quantities of salt, cabbage, carrots and apples. Salt and cabbage don't really turn my crank. Carrot juice could result in something interesting, and apples have a really long successful history with fermenting (hence my choice for apples).
As others have stated, the game features extensive alchemy ingredients. Off the top of my head I came up with 15 flowering/fruity/leafy ingredients (potential spices?) and I'm sure there are many more.

Gave my mead the first taste at 10 days last night. Is it supposed to taste extremely awesome fantastic after only ten days? Didn't take long to drink an entire wine-thief full :)
The only thing keeping me from drinking 5 gallons of golden nectar is the wife's disapproval... And the sweetness, still too sweet!

I've actually made a carrot juice mead. It isn't worth your time. Not bad, but nothing special. And I think it is very prone to oxidation.

the nightshade featured in game is clearly a toxic variety. Thorn apple I believe. It's included in the drink called a cliff racer (I assume) because it's a stimulant and mild psychotropic. Not because it's a good idea. But I dig what you're getting at.

both green and red apples are prominent in game, grapes exist, the sweetroll suggests cinnamon exists as well. just my two bits.

Correction: The Velvet Lechance is the drink with nightshade. The Cliff Racer is liquors, wine, and brandy.

Honningbrew is a Hydromel after investigating. need screencap of black briar meadery sign to update my label to total accuracy. The honningbrew is 95% accurate as is. minor cropping left there.

I am here 'cause of Skyrim. Just started my first batch.

Good to see you here!
I was brewing before skyrim, but my showing up here was due to the game. I wanted to see if a mini skyrim-mead community sprang up.

Fixed the black briar label.
black_briar_mead_label_by_emptysamurai-d4ltcmu.png

OK, haven't played skrym yet though I have played another of the elder scroll games. I can't remember which, I play a lot of games. and the names get fuzzy in my head. or maybe it is the mead doing it.... any how.... I love coming up with recipes

Blackbriar could be blackberry, black raspberry, and / or rose hips since all of them are briars. and then spicing would be pretty easy. Not sure of the specific spices mentioned in the game but you could always use clove and mace for the irony.

Nightshade - Green or red tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and eggplant are all nontoxic versions. I have also seen recipes for wines made with these.

Heather - Heather honey comes from Scotland and is recommended for longer brewing. It is a bit expensive but is supposed to be very good but on the strong and drier side. One could also add the flowers but they don't stay fresh for very long.

I cannot think of anything more just now. I'm just replying to other posts I've seen.

Tomico

I played skyrim for about a week and decided I needed to make these for my next two brews.

Hey I really like your labels, do you have any higher-res versions of them to print out? Specifically the one with the spiders? thx

Have we gotten any closer to figuring out a recipe?

Has anyone already started brewing anything they thought might work?

I kind of liked the spiders. They made it a little edgy ;)

Check the sign at the meadery. They are Honey bees. Couldn't leave my label so innacurate. flowers also lacked appropriate detail.

Hey I really like your labels, do you have any higher-res versions of them to print out? Specifically the one with the spiders? thx

follow the link at the bottom of the page. it will take you to my collected works. look under gallery/ skyrim. the one with the spiders is innacurate by in game standards and has been deleted. glad you dig them though.

The honningbrew clone I'm building Started with 4 gallons of tree top apple juice and 12 lbs of Fireweed honey. staged nutrients and lalvin ec-1118. Didn't take an og reading but smells ****ing awesome.

The black briar clone I'm building on uses Blackberry honey (A black fruit of the briar) and shall be spiced appropriately with cinnanmon, cloves, ginger, etc.

Nightshade - Green or red tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and eggplant are all nontoxic versions. I have also seen recipes for wines made with these.
Tomico

Terrible idea. it is a POPULAR mead. none of these would make for a drink with such popularity. As was already mentioned, The in game nightshade leaves itself open to no such interpretations.It is clearly a toxic variety.

Though I do agree on potential honey selection. blackberry honey with rosehips could work.

First and foremost, I am excited about where this thread may go. I promised a friend (who also plays Skyrim) that I would formulate recipes for him, here's what I came up with:

Blackbriar Mead - Blackberry/Raspberry/Blueberry melomel, for reasons detailed by others. 5-gallon batch with 13 lbs honey, fermenting away in my closet now since the 4th.

Honningbrew Mead - Dunno why, but I was totally thinking spiced Cyser on this one. Could be the barrels of apples I found at the meadery. Gonna be a standard cyser with cloves and cinnamon, perhaps some Earl Grey?

I also want to make a juniper mead called Vidol's, based on the opening sequence to the game, but I'm gonna start that one in a 1-gallon batch to see how it tastes, lol.

First and foremost, I am excited about where this thread may go. I promised a friend (who also plays Skyrim) that I would formulate recipes for him, here's what I came up with:

Blackbriar Mead - Blackberry/Raspberry/Blueberry melomel, for reasons detailed by others. 5-gallon batch with 13 lbs honey, fermenting away in my closet now since the 4th.

Honningbrew Mead - Dunno why, but I was totally thinking spiced Cyser on this one. Could be the barrels of apples I found at the meadery. Gonna be a standard cyser with cloves and cinnamon, perhaps some Earl Grey?

I also want to make a juniper mead called Vidol's, based on the opening sequence to the game, but I'm gonna start that one in a 1-gallon batch to see how it tastes, lol.

We're on the same page. My honningbrew is about 2 weeks into its primary. adding cloves, (ginger too maybe?), and cinnamon in the secondary so as not to blow off the more delicate aeromatics.

After researching the Black briar more it would seem to be a metheglin but I like it better as lightly spiced a melomel. maybe a touch of cinnamon in your black briar in the secondary. like a pie. It is also oak aged as stated by the fellow at the front desk. casks designed by maven herself.

We're on the same page. My honningbrew is about 2 weeks into its primary. adding cloves, (ginger too maybe?), and cinnamon in the secondary so as not to blow off the more delicate aeromatics.

After researching the Black briar more it would seem to be a metheglin but I like it better as lightly spiced a melomel. maybe a touch of cinnamon in your black briar in the secondary. like a pie. It is also oak aged as stated by the fellow at the front desk. casks designed by maven herself.

Nice! Make sure to post pictures when yours is done, and I'll do the same! :mug:

I actually hadn't considered spicing the blackbriar at all, but that sounds really good, now that you mention it. I went pretty light on the fruit in primary, so I'm gonna add a ton more to secondary in about a week or so. I really like the idea of pie spices, and the oak, so I'll probably go with those. I haven't actually explored the Blackbriar Meadery in-game yet, so I guess my research could be more complete, lol.

I've been meaning to make one of these for a while, I've got a buddy who's a celiac so I brew a cider now and then for him but since playing I've been thinking about doing something like this. Totally going to now! I've only ever had one mead and it was carbonated raspberry mead made by Alley Cat, kinda like a cooler, not a real mead I don't think. Lavender is such a nice additive I would love to use it. Thing is never brewed a mead before, I know there's lots of brainstorming going on but please post some recipes I have no clue how much of any spice to add!
Granted I need to do some more homework on the topic.
MOST EPIC THREAD EVER!!!!

! stick of cinnamon per gallon is customary, but as fireweed honey seems to have a cinnamon-ish flavor (at least when using lalvin ec-1118) I was considering a half stick to let the flavor of the honey shine through.

My Honningbrew recipe thus far (I'm going to try to take this slow for those of us who started down the path to being a Mazer [Mead maker] because of skyrim. so There will be explanations for any newbs who don't know brew-speak)

12 lbs. fireweed honey
4 gallons of treetop brand apple juice (Preservative free is important)
DAP (Diammonium phosphate)
Fermaid k
lalvin ec-1118 yeast

sterilize everything that touches your brew, unless you're fond of wastage.

pour half of one bottle into the fermenter, add 1/4 of the honey, shake like hell. (this not only dissolves the honey but aerates to allow for healthy yeasties)
Repeat until all honey is dissolved and in the bucket.
Add 1 tsp of DAP and 1/2 Tsp of Fermaid k to the must (The stuff in the bucket is your must) then at 24 hrs add 1/2 tsp Dap and 1/4 tsp fermaid k, then at 72 hrs add 1/2 tsp Dap and 1/4 tsp fermaid k. (This staggered feeding is the best I could come up with, would be happy to have some more advice from an elder mazer)

rehydrate yeast according to directions on package
Should not need to campden this as the juice and honey are both sterile. always remember sanitation is key. make sure your yeasties and your must are at the same temerature when pitching so you don't shock them.

As I said considering spices for the secondary. likeing th idea of maybe using some lavender. very cool Idea.

that is as far as it's gotten. taking a gravity reading here in a minute. forgot to take an og though. I'm putting on more next month so I'll read it then

I came across this thread and joined this group to show you guys the label that i put together today for a blackberry/blueberry mead that i just started this past weekend. Let me know what you think. I'm going to be doing a whole bunch of batches this year and i have lots of ideas for skyrim inspired labels. cheers to good mead and great gaming!

trying to upload, but site is sizing it down to 6.6kb. here's a link. hope it works!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc99/masterjeem/Blackandblue3.png

Blackandblue3.jpg

LOL, either that guy stole Drunkula's recipe, or it's the same guy!

My Blackbriar is coming along swimmingly. Dried out (FG 1.001) but has plenty of fruit in secondary to add character. I plan on aging this one awhile, since it tastes pretty hot. It is, however, a fantastic color, something like a slightly darker grapefruit juice.

As soon as I get my traditional Orange Blossom Mead bottled, I'm putting a Honningbrew batch together.

I'm loving this thread! Unfortunately I dont have Skyrim yet (computer cant really run it to its full potential), but i'm a massive fan of the series...

Terrible idea. it is a POPULAR mead. none of these would make for a drink with such popularity. As was already mentioned, The in game nightshade leaves itself open to no such interpretations.It is clearly a toxic variety.

I havent tried it, but more than one person has claimed that tomato wine is really good! And another has won competitions with a potato beer... So I think that it may have merit. (or could be completely gross!)

:D

To be honest, it was the last push i needed to get started making mead. I've had it before and thought it was delicious. Over the years i haven't been able to find a good place that is close and also sells it, so i've been considering making it for quite a while. Started playing skyrim and there's all kinds of mead going on in that game so i stood up and said "that tears it, i'm making mead" i have 3 5 gallon batches going right now :)

So, the Honningbrew was cold crashed at 2 months and tasted beautiful at 3. It's all gone now..... all 5 gallons....

Time to make more! I'll actually take gravity readings this time....

I am about 120hours into the game and I do remember running across someone who actually mentions the ingredients used in black briars reserve. I will make a few more passes around the Meaderies to see if someone will tell me. I cannot remember if it was the brew master or the guy at the entrance of Black Briar that told me. Or just a traveler.

This game makes me a neglectful husband...

I have a 6 gallons going now, which I am splitting into several Skyrim inspired meads. 2 gallons became a Cyser (I racked it onto 1 gallon of apple juice) and the other 4 gallons left alone to age until the spice/herb additions.

Some of the ones I have planned so far...

Juniper Berry Mead (I was sweet on a girl from here...)
Elderberry Mead
Wormwood Mead
Elderberry Cyser
Cinnamon Allspice Cyser

There is still a few months before bottling, at which time I will be adding the spices. I am thinking of using a neutral spirit like vodka to soak the spices for several weeks in and adding it directly to the mead bottles at the time of racking.

I also have the option of adding the spices directly to the meads without the spirits, using empty 'do-it-yourself' teabags I have laying around. Maybe I will do a combination of both and see which turn out best.

The ingredients aren't mentioned. You are thinking of the fella behind the bar at the meadery. He says it has the finest honey and spices. never clear on which ones though....

And oh yes, the honningbrew is delicious. I lucked out in finding an apiary that sells fireweed honey at 25 bucks a gallon.

Back