3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my second night of drinking this. I've never had the original but this is a tasty brew. I'm glad I brewed ten gallons.
I only brewed it 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

I'm taking another stab at this one on Saturday. My first batch was amazing, even though my FG was low at 1.014. This time, my LHBS was out of 2-row (imagine that). Instead I'm going with an all Golden Promise base malt and subbing Carapils for Carafoam (LHBS had no Carafoam). In order to conserve my precious Citra reserve, I'm going to FWH with something neutral with higher AA (maybe Apollo). Going with US-04 in the low 60's. Wish me luck, and thanks to the OP for such a solid recipe!:mug:

Carapils and carafoam are basicaly the same thing. Carafoam is a trademark name from Weyerman, Carapils is Briess.

I used Magnum at 60 (.5 oz ) for my last 5 gal batch. No FWH just added at 60. Turned out great.:mug:

Looking for some guidance on my ZD clone. Finished low at 1.011. Sg 1.064. Extract. S04Only bottled a week but my football team is so bad I needed a diversion.

Never had the real deal so I don't know what to expect. It smells amazing but the finish is pretty bitter. Thinking it's bc the beer is green but can someone who has had the commercial version comment on the bitterness at the end. It drinks ok and is already very well carbonated but its not the amazing beer I hear about.

Thanks.

Looking for some guidance on my ZD clone. Finished low at 1.011. Sg 1.064. Extract. S04Only bottled a week but my football team is so bad I needed a diversion.

Never had the real deal so I don't know what to expect. It smells amazing but the finish is pretty bitter. Thinking it's bc the beer is green but can someone who has had the commercial version comment on the bitterness at the end. It drinks ok and is already very well carbonated but its not the amazing beer I hear about.

Thanks.

What was your hop schedule like? This is a tough recipe to do extract with. Hard to FWH, can't control unfermentables with mash temp. Did you partial mash the specialty grains? If so at what temp.

It's tough to say a beer isn't as amazing as you thought it would be when it's you that made it. It is a very good recipe, and not overly bitter for an APA. What other APA or Ipa's would you compare the bitterness to?

Thanks.

Mine is not bitter and I did FWH.

I just picked up some citra to brew this, but probably won't squeeze it in until spring. I've used WLP002 a lot and 154F seems a bit high to finish around 1.016 - is the recipe on the first page right for 002/1968 or is it still reflecting Cal Ale yeast that it seems some people were using? I would probably mash this closer to 149-150F for WLP002.

I didn't read the entire thread, but it seems a lot of people are picking up some piney flavor/aroma lately, has anyone been able to determine if the recipe was changed? I haven't used Citra in a long time, but don't remember any piney flavor/aroma with it.

Ususally try and pitch at what you are going to ferment at, so the yeast is not shocked. Maybe 70-80, then bring it down to about 64-68 to ferment. If you ferment at higher than say 70, the actual fermenting wort is usually about 6-10 degrees warmer than the outside temp. When it gets that warm, the yeast produce off flavors, alcohol esters and other bad things. Doesnt spoil the beer, just makes it a little less "great" tasting

I just picked up some citra to brew this, but probably won't squeeze it in until spring. I've used WLP002 a lot and 154F seems a bit high to finish around 1.016 - is the recipe on the first page right for 002/1968 or is it still reflecting Cal Ale yeast that it seems some people were using? I would probably mash this closer to 149-150F for WLP002.

I didn't read the entire thread, but it seems a lot of people are picking up some piney flavor/aroma lately, has anyone been able to determine if the recipe was changed? I haven't used Citra in a long time, but don't remember any piney flavor/aroma with it.

IMO citra, especially with FWH and bittering has a herbaceous kinda dank flavor.

Yeah mine has a little bit of a dank/piney thing going on. As discussed earlier in the thread people might get different flavors depending on the crop. As its aged the pine flavor has become more apparent and the tropical flavors have faded a bit.

Made this today!
Kicking off the new year with a brew day.
That's a lot of late addition CITRA.
All grain version, and the first run yielded 5.2 gallons of wort at 155*
The OG was dead on 1.065. Color looked a little dark. Crummy electric stove takes forever to boil so it always takes 30 min to get up to a boil.
After the boil I had 4.5 gallons in the ferm bucket. Used the S-04.
I'm a little concerned that two ounces of leaf Citra will soak up a gallon of really expensive beer.
Second run yielded 3.75 gallons of wort. I used .5 oz of summit hops to bitter then used 1 oz of Nugget for the last ten minutes. Then tossed in all the bags of Citra from the first batch at flame out. To beef up the grain bill I steeped a pound of Aroma Carafa and 4 oz of dehusked Black Malt.
In the last 20 min I added a pound of light DME I had. The OG landed at
1.058. This filled a three gallon glass carboy and I pitched S-05 for this side of the grain batch. This is gonna be a dark brown ale.
I did notice both, had a lot of solids almost like a heavy wheat boil.
The objective here was obviously 5 gallons of FFF Zombie Dust.
With a significant grain bill like this I just can't resist a second run / supplemented as it were. I'm a real noob here and this is only my second year of brewing. I hope this ZD is worth the 7 hours of effort.
Cheers and Happy New Year!

Chugging along, nice smell from the two batches
Strange solids at the top of the carboy from the solids I mentioned.
Looks like cottage cheese but I have seen this before.

Gravity test today, pretty spot on. Took one week.....man S-04 works fast. Tasted it .....really good...like biting into a grapefruit....very little bitter...good overall balance.....thanks skezzer.

Skeezerpleezer-

Just wanted to know more about your process. Trying to get this right. Do you chill immediately, or do you whirlpool for some time before chilling?

Looking to brew the extract version of this for my next batch. I plan on doing a full-boil (ish) - will start out with a bit over 5 gallons of water pre-boil and top off at the end to bring up to 5 gallons after evaporation. Would you guys recommend compensating for that at all with the FWH? I was planning on skipping the 60 min addition since I'd be doing close to a full boil.

I was planning on steeping for 45 min at around 155. How much water am I doing that with? The last batch I made, we steeped with 2.5 gallons, then added to about 5.25 gallons for the boil. Am I doing that or steeping with the full boil amount. Thanks!

Racked today- will rest a day or two.
S-04 / OG =1.065 / FG = 1.018
Grape fruity and just sweet enough
Will Dry Hop with my remaining two oz of Citra Leaf after one more rack
I'll let that go 5 days and bottle. I hope to drink a bottle or six before I begin my month long annual fast during the month of Febuary.
After cold conditioning in the bottle for a month well "stand aside"
It won't take much after my fast at around 6.6% ABV
Thanks for the great recipe. I'll let you know about the S-05 brown ale from the sparge mash. It's not quite finished

Looking to brew the extract version of this for my next batch. I plan on doing a full-boil (ish) - will start out with a bit over 5 gallons of water pre-boil and top off at the end to bring up to 5 gallons after evaporation. Would you guys recommend compensating for that at all with the FWH? I was planning on skipping the 60 min addition since I'd be doing close to a full boil.

I was planning on steeping for 45 min at around 155. How much water am I doing that with? The last batch I made, we steeped with 2.5 gallons, then added to about 5.25 gallons for the boil. Am I doing that or steeping with the full boil amount. Thanks!

I am not sure how many IBUs you would lose by doing the 5g boil, do you have beersmith (i don't have it handy or would do it)? You may want to add a bit of Magnum or Warrior or similar at 60 to get a few more IBUs.

Plugging it into ibrewmaster it says I'd need 5.57 gallons preboil to end up with five. Don't know how it calculated that but I could probably handle that. The ibus were at 74 and og at 1.061. I also figured to try and hold the 2.5 pounds of grain in the oven with 1 gallon of water for 45 min around 155. Then steep in another pot with 1 gallon at 160 for 10 to 20 min. That's what I saw when looking up partial mashes. Then I top up to 5.57 or whatever and start the boil. Sound okay?

It has moved up to the top of the APA rankings on beeradvocate for good reason.
11.jpg

I plan to brew my first ZD clone attempt tomorrow. I've had to modify the recipe slightly with available grains and also plan to add a Nelson Sauvin hop addition. I had attached the print out of my recipe. I'm contemplating removing the Caramel 40. Anyone with experience with the hop combination of citra and nelson sauvin? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Size: 6.0*gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.066
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 12.72
Alcohol: 6.49%
Bitterness: 79.6

Ingredients:
12.0*lb (81.4%) Pilsen Malt - added during mash
1.5*lb (10.2%) Munich Malt - added during mash
5.28*oz (2.2%) Honey Malt - added during mash
4.0*oz (1.7%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
10.56*oz (4.5%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L - added during mash
1.0*oz (11.1%) Citra™ (13.9%) - added first wort, boiled 20.0*m
1.25*oz (13.9%) Citra™ (13.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
1.25*oz (13.9%) Citra™ (13.9%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
1.25*oz (13.9%) Citra™ (13.9%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0*m
1.25*oz (13.9%) Citra™ (13.9%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0*m
0.50*oz (5.6%) Nelson Sauvin (12.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0*m
2.0*oz (22.2%) Citra™ (15.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.50*oz (5.6%) Nelson Sauvin (12.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0*ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale
1.0*ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.23

I have a Citra/Nelson IPA I'm working through right now. I went light on the Nelson b/c it's so assertive. Killer combo though, I think you'll really like it.

I'm brewing something similar later this week. 10 gallons, and I'm going to dry hop one fermenter exclusively with mosaic. We'll see...

I brewed the original recipe and have one of the best beers I have ever drank, homebrew or commercial. Thank you. I am already ordering the grain bill to make sure I dont run our of this one.

Brewed my first attempt at this yesterday. Changes: dropped melanoidin, used pale malt for the base, mashed at 151. Also discovered that my one pound of Citra pellets had less than 15oz in it, not so happy about that. Undershot gravity a bit, came in at 1.057.

Split batch fermenting with 5.5g getting Cal V, 5.5 getting 1968, both in a chamber at 64F.

Back