Liquid alternative to Nottingham or S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
Hey gang. Found Yooper recipe for the Lakefront Ipa clone-ish. For those not from Milwaukee its a very fruity, citrus-y IPA. I've never done a beer with a non-liquid (Wyeast) yeast. What Wyeast strand would I be looking for for this beer. I was thinking 1028 London Ale - but not sure. Thanks for the help!

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.07 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %

1.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 43.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook (homegrown) [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Yooper can speak better about her own recipe, but my favorite yeast has become WLP007.

It is high attenuating, moderately high floccing, and relatively clean as compared to other English strains. It is very similar in description to Nottingham.

Nottingham
• Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17°C.
• High attenuation, reaching a final gravity near 1008 (2°P).
• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation is dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
• Shows flocculation at completion of fermentation, and settling is promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.
• The aroma is slightly estery, almost neutral and does not display malodours when properly handled. Because of flocculation, it may tend to slightly reduce hop bitter levels.
• Best when used at traditional ale temperatures after rehydration in the recommended manner.
• Lager-style beer has been brewed with Nottingham, however low fermentation temperature requires adaptation of the pitching rate to ensure proper attenuation.

WLP007
WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

I have never compared the character of the two head to head, but if you are just looking at it from a spec standpoint, they are really similar.

I've used WLP007 at cooler temps (65) and gotten very clean characteristics. A couple degrees higher (67) has given me a beer with light fruit esters. So I use it, with a bit of manipulation, for both American and British style beers.

I love this stuff.

Joe

EDIT - Sorry, I missed the bit about you wanting it to be Wyeast. The charts say it is comparable to 1098 Whitbread - dry.

Back