Wit bier yeast for a heferweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahjah

Reaction score
anybody ever use a yeast designed for Belgian Witbier (specifically the WYeast 3944) in a heferweizen?

I have some washed 3944 available but no true heferweizen yeast at the moment and am wondering what the results would be to pitch the WYeast 3944 into a heferweizen.

At least for the recipes I've done, both witbiers and hefeweizens have about the same malt component (somewhere around 50/50 wheat/pale malt), and the difference really depends on what yeast you use. Both will give you esters, its just that the witbier yeast will give you spicier belgian ones, where the hefeweizen yeast will give you a lot more of the banana or clove.

If you aren't necessarily looking for the banana and clove flavors in your hefeweizen, you could ferment with your 3944 and keep the temps low to minimize the ester production, but I've not tried it with that strain so maybe someone can help you out a little more than I can!

Back