March or Chugger Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both sound like a voltage issue - what is the voltage at the plug in the wall. If it is way below the nominal 110V then adding a extension cord would drop the voltage seen by the pump even more + at a lower voltage the pump will draw more current and get hotter. Possibly tripping the thermal protection. I'm guessing they just stop working and then after a while they start up fine again?

Sounds like a voltage issue, you may need a heavier gauge or shorter extension cord. It also may be the wires on the receptacle are not making a good connection.

Thanks guys. One pump worked in the garage a year before failing. The other just never worked. Chugger suggested a smaller extension cord, 6'. It works on the side of the house but not in the garage, where it worked for well over a year. Maybe it's my setup? I just don't understand how it would work fine for so long and then fail. It failed outside too, but started working after I put a fan on it. It's 98* outside which is 20* hotter than the garage but again it won't work in that outlet any more...?

I would check the outlet. I find loose wires on outlets quite a lot, especially if thay are stab lock which relies on a spring type connection.

If you check the voltage at the outlet you may get 120v, but if the wires are not tight the voltage would drop under a load.

How old is the receptacle in the garage? Does it feel worn out and loose when you plug in? I would pull the receptacle out of the box and see if the wires are jammed into the back holes or if they are properly wrapped around the side screws (and tight).

I have a March and a Chugger. The last three brew days my march has seized up.....so ive had to pull the head off, pull the impeller.....put it back together......and voila. Back working again.

No problems with my chugger.

Go with a Chugger or upgrade your March with a Chugger head. Chugger head is stainless steel, has bigger impeller (easier to prime and higher flow rate) and has Teflon bushings (less likely to get stuck).

It could also be a loose connection on another outlet on the same circuit or on the breaker.

I have a Chugger with the Stainless Steel head, and have to say that I LOVE it. I'm actually thinking of getting another one to add to my brew system.

Thanks guys. One pump worked in the garage a year before failing. The other just never worked. Chugger suggested a smaller extension cord, 6'. It works on the side of the house but not in the garage, where it worked for well over a year. Maybe it's my setup? I just don't understand how it would work fine for so long and then fail. It failed outside too, but started working after I put a fan on it. It's 98* outside which is 20* hotter than the garage but again it won't work in that outlet any more...?

Would definitely be worth it to replace the receptacle that you plan to run your system on. Go back with a high grade device rated for 20A vs the 15A contractor grade that was inevitably installed originally. Motors in general are hard on press fit connections (receptacle to plug, switches, etc) and using a higher grade device can help immensely.

Yup. And that's another invention on my "Should Never Have Been Allowed" **** list...

Cheers!

Agree, but it's a catch 22 for me. I've made a small fortune going behind the "fly by night" companies, changing them out when they begin developing problems.

And for the next great invention.... wait for it.... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-In...age-is-6-Bags-30-1334S/203734797#.UjZQ_j-ZZIY

Should make for another 10 years of steady business.....grrr

[...]Should make for another 10 years of steady business.....grrr

stranded wire push connects?

Oh...my...gawd....

And you're only in Arkansas. I know it can get humid there, but if you were down on the Gulf shore your time would be worth way too much to be hobnobbing with us low-life here....

Cheers! ;)

I purchased the pump from Brewhardware.com and later determined the problem was my own doing. Brewhardware nevertheless went out of their way to support the product they sold. Brewhardware.com is a relatively new company, and considering their incredible customer support, they have a great future:)

This may belong here? :p

The vendor deal is that we provide the warranty service. When you call up Dodge headquarters because your engine is making noises, they will tell you to take it to an authorized dealer too. I don't know why that is so disheartening especially when we had a new pump out in the mail to you within 5 minutes of receiving the call and it's not going to cost you a dime. I could see if you got the run around

March makes a great pump also, but you'll pay an extra $70 and warranty service shipping is on you.

Back