$17 to ship a star san bottle??? WTF???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
Man, just tried to place an order at this place...this is obviously a canadian company. Tried to place the order for an 8oz bottle of star san and the cheapest shipping option was over $17 for a $14 product and it is only an 8oz bottle...like WTF???

I am gonna have to take a vacation and stock up on some no rinse sanatizer. Man Labrador sucks....

Yeah...that is a true statement. I did however, just buy 2 snowmobiles, a truck, a car, a house and I just finished restoring a 1980 Chevy Camaro, so now I have to stay where the money is.

Yeah...that is a true statement. I did however, just buy 2 snowmobiles, a truck, a car, a house and I just finished restoring a 1980 Chevy Camaro, so now I have to stay where the money is.

I hope they were Arctic Cats!

So, why not the 32oz bottle.

Mix it with distilled, use a spritzer bottle for application, periodically check the pH, and it'll likely out last you. So far, I am getting by on 1 ounce (concentrate) a year.

So, why not the 32oz bottle.

Mix it with distilled, use a spritzer bottle for application, periodically check the pH, and it'll likely out last you. So far, I am getting by on 1 ounce (concentrate) a year.

Yup, even the 8 oz will last a good long time. Would it be cheaper for someone in a real country (USA) to ship it to you?

Probably wouldn't be cheaper, because you would have to ship the liquid via UPS. I might take a short 17 hour drive to ottawa in november and stock up while I am there.

One was an Arctic Cat (My M6) and my SWMBO bought a Polaris Trail Machine.

Probably wouldn't be cheaper, because you would have to ship the liquid via UPS. I might take a short 17 hour drive to ottawa in november and stock up while I am there.

No. Prolly not cheaper but, I doubt the shipping charge would be more. If you are stuck with a $17 charge between 8oz or 32oz, might as well bulk up so you'll not likely need to pay it again.

That would be a divorcing in my family. Boo to Polaris.:D

Yeah the shipping is the same for a 32oz bottle....maybe I should just do a big order up and include it. I was hoping I could get the bottle of star san soon though. I will have to wait to order a bigger order, the SWMBO is still a little ticked about my keg order last night.

Yamis are nice, but I don't trust 4-strokes when I am 100km from town and it is -40. It is hard enough to pull over a two stroke after spending the night at the cabin, a 4-stroke wouldn't even turn over, unless you had had a block heater and had it plugged in to a generator, or you started it every couple hours during the night.

So I will stick with my 2-stroke arctic cat.

Yamis are nice, but I don't trust 4-strokes when I am 100km from town and it is -40. It is hard enough to pull over a two stroke after spending the night at the cabin, a 4-stroke wouldn't even turn over, unless you had had a block heater and had it plugged in to a generator, or you started it every couple hours during the night.

So I will stick with my 2-stroke arctic cat.

I got a 2 stroke SRX. Love that thing and I hope I never have to let it go. But you're right about the cold. Fortunately, I don't think I have to worry about -40 temps around here any time soon. On the other hand, I'm not going to be able to come up with 10k for a new sled any time soon either.

Anyway, sorry about stealing the thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Yamahas here are running between $13000-16000, so I don't see me being able to buy those either. I bought my 2 machines slightly used for $10000 for both, plus I got a new Polaris Dragon 120 thrown in for the kids for $2500 more.

+1 on that. It makes sense shipping would cost more. They have to feed the dogsled teams and whatnot.

It is funny though, I can mail anything I want out of here for very respectable prices. We just sent a backpack full of clothes to Ottawa for the SWMBO's little brother, the thing must have weighed like 20lbs, and was the size of a large backpack put into a box. Only cost $20 to send it. So it baffles me why someone would charge $18 to ship an 8oz container. The dogsled team must be tired.

What major city are you near? Next time I am up in Canada, if you pay for my gas, I will drop it to you. Granted, I can only guarantee it will land within about 10 miles of you :D

What major city are you near? Next time I am up in Canada, if you pay for my gas, I will drop it to you. Granted, I can only guarantee it will land within about 10 miles of you :D

I guess the closest Major City, would be Quebec City, or Moncton, NB, both are about 900km from here. So I think it would still be cheaper to get it shipped....lol

And there is no way to get it within 10 miles of here without coming into town, since you would have to come into town to get gas. Once you leave here, there is no gas station within 240km, in any direction.

And there is no way to get it within 10 miles of here without coming into town, since you would have to come into town to get gas. Once you leave here, there is no gas station within 240km, in any direction.

He was talking about an dumbo drop. He's wanna dem fancy pilot fellers.

When I do Chicago to Halifax, I am right over Moncton... but 10 miles is about all I can guarantee!

Yeah well Moncton is still 900km from here...lol
Take a detour to the Wabush Airport, but call me in advance and make a quick refueling stop. I will jump on the plane and head back to Chicago with ya. Then again I am not sure if our airport is suitable for anything bigger than a Dash 8.

Yeah well Moncton is still 900km from here...lol
Take a detour to the Wabush Airport, but call me in advance and make a quick refueling stop. I will jump on the plane and head back to Chicago with ya. Then again I am not sure if our airport is suitable for anything bigger than a Dash 8.

With flaps full and an average load... I can stop it in 2800'. No, it isnt REAL comfortable, but it has been done ;) The same is needed for a max performance takeoff at flaps 4, as long as there isnt any high terrain near the airport, flaps 4 kills the second segment climb rate!

I can just picture "operation supple drop" where the pol just bring a plane is at around 2500 feet and drops a palet to parachute in.

I feel your pain with shipping....have a buddy in Goose Bay and i'm always sending stuff up to him as he can't buy anything there. Best bet would be to do a big order like you said. And cdn prices don't help either....after seeing the prices online accross the border.. :(

Yeah Goose Bay would even be worse than here. I really feel for those guys. We have a LHBS here, but he sticks with wine. It is a good spot to go if you need a carboy cap, or racking came, or a coopers kit, but he has nothing else beer related.

Yeah Goose Bay would even be worse than here. I really feel for those guys. We have a LHBS here, but he sticks with wine. It is a good spot to go if you need a carboy cap, or racking came, or a coopers kit, but he has nothing else beer related.

Anybody else up there that make beer besides yourself? I know a few around my area, and anytime i'm ordering something or anytime they're ordering something, we ask each other if anythings needed...saves on the "flat rate" of shipping....which seems to be the deal with the $17 shipping charge you're being faced with.

BTW, did you order your kegs from online? if so, where'd you get em, and how was shipping?

And yeah, GB would be worse i'd imagine...my buddy said there's nothing there for brewing(tried to talk him into it)..

we have a lot of wine guys, and very few beer guys. the guys that brew beer just want to brew coopers kits for a cheap drunk. I ordered my complete keg kit with 2 kegs from kegconnection, cost $65 for shipping, i will probably get dinged another 50 by ups as well.

Back