Dry Erase Markers on Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought some of these. They are self-adhesive dry-erase sheets. I'm cutting them in half and sticking them to the side of my kegs.

It looks like a good idea so far, but I need to make sure that they don't just fall off when refrigerated or that the writing doesn't rub off during normal handling.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought is that you would not be able to read them when the kegs are in the kegerator. I use adhesive labels on the top edge (handle) of my corny kegs and can then read what is in them when I look into the chest freezer (my kegerator). Don't know if that helps, it's just what I do.
mark
Beer Diary...

Dry erase markers will come off with normal handling, especially once you start to get some condensation on the kegs. Just use a sharpie. When it is time to clean it a little bit of rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover will clean it right off..

i painted chalkboards on to my kegs. I consider chalk a little more durable than dry erase. my chalk rubs off too easily sometimes...i don't think the dry erase will hold up.

I use little sticky labels from Office Depot or the like - about 1" x 3" - stick right on the top/side of the handle, so I can see it when looking down into my keezer, and they come off easily when I change them out.

Sharpie on duct tape. Won't come off, can be relocated on the keg if needed (move from side to top, or to the other side, etc.), peel and toss when kicked.

Sharpie on masking tape.

I have some beers that I age for a long time, and I find that duct tape can become a pain to get off if the "sticky" dries out.

Sharpie on clear packing tape. One word batch descriptor (style or dominant ingredient), brew date, and racking date is all I write. Goes on the bale.

a piece of masking tape on the handle and a sharpie. Comes off in 2 seconds or less when the keg is empty.

I'm leaning towards luggage tags with business card sized inserts in them strapped to the corny lid or handle.

Jumbo Luggage Tag by Office Depot

that would work, but it may be annoying to take the tag out for a new one. most of those are held closed by the tether, so you have to disassemble it to change the tag.

springer said:
Sharpie right on the Stainless ... to remove two or three swipes with a Mr. Clean magic eraser .

Ooh, I have those!
Anything on the side is ok for someone using a fridge where you can see the side of the tank, but Keezers are not all that friendly for viewing the side of a keg.

Sharpie right on the Stainless ... to remove two or three swipes with a Mr. Clean magic eraser .

Ooh, I have those!
Anything on the side is ok for someone using a fridge where you can see the side of the tank, but Keezers are not all that friendly for viewing the side of a keg.

Well ya I have a 21 cf upright keezer/kegerater . So it works for me

My solution

199f74a8-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back