Breweries and Introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello there..
I wanted to congratulate you on your new brewing system... I would love to build one here in California... I was wondering if you could share your plans or whatever buildup sequence and components you have...
You could email me at [email protected]

Tks a million... congratulations... you are truly an artist...

I so wish I could weld...

Time and practice without learning bad welding habits as they are the worse ones to break or be retrained to the proper way. Starting with O/A back in 64, stick, Mig then Tig, call it stepping stones as each process helps you on the next process. Dollar amount goes up with the process as well the quality and features the equipment has to offer you. After many years welding over 40 and 13 different welders I had a profile on what brand and what it can do that matches my welding needs. Now retired these are my free and job paid off personal toys. "The power of Blue", Mig 251 w/30A spoolgun, 350 Synchrowave Tig, 3 to 385 amp fully loaded with every option except production spot welding. A happy camper as I could not afford these welders today plus the reduced controls for the average welder or better said made simple to get better sales of their customers to use their products. A sad way to stay up top with the loss of these welding controls. Cheap is how you select your process like spending $240 for a owner owned 260/280 cu/ft bottle vs smaller lease bottles. Reduce your costs by thinking smart. Some people believe the least expensive welder is the best buy. The jokes on them, www.cyberweld.org for some good prices vs what local welding suppliers are asking and sticking to their prices. Shop around as back in 2002 I went from $3,463 before tax down to $2,506 out the door for a Miller 251 w/30A spoolgun, twin bottle cart plus two restrictor flow gauges (POS vs a victor flow meter), tax included. JMO's that have worked for me and saved me thousands of dollars besides on welders being a write off welding for contractors over the years. This with the welders never leaving my shop.

Hats off to those that say welding is easy, a process i've chased for years before becoming a certifited welder, you're a better welder than me. You have my full respect from me as it wasn't that easy over the past 40 years and many hours of welding.
Congrats are due, i'm a nobody welder compared to these new and up coming welders that say it is easy.

Hats off to those that say welding is easy, a process i've chased for years before becoming a certifited welder, you're a better welder than me. You have my full respect from me as it wasn't that easy over the past 40 years and many hours of welding.
Congrats are due, i'm a nobody welder compared to these new and up coming welders that say it is easy.

Sounds like your pride got a little hurt. :D

I think when people say it can be easy, its talking in regards to hooking 2 pieces of angle iron together with an ugly weld that takes an hour to grind down. Which is what most people like myself were looking for. I am sure the art form takes a lifetime to master. But many of us here are looking for a way to jump in and learn as we go doing rough projects.

Sounds like your pride got a little hurt. :D

No worries mate, i've been in and out of a big GM plant now called NUMI with their from Japan inspectors over your shoulder and even looking thru your own hood while doing your welding. No pride hurt, do your job the best you can and cut the mustard allowed me many years at a welding table vs loading up pipe racks with conduit. Use the mind not the back. We had many people come in and say "I can weld that" and 10 minutes later told to leave the job, that alone was my reward especially when we became called out by name at the hall for a welding job. Call it another feather in my hat that did not come easy to pass X-ray testing that they required. Now hot days when they demanded stick vs Mig was a PITA, I hate burns, slag and smoke, I would rather Tig back then but all we had was Mig when allowed.
The big nasty was on big plants with many layers and years of paint to remove looking for base metal, makes one think about all the leaded paint chipped and ground off. The reason why i'm mentally slow that's my story i'm sticking to it, I wish? With many months without welding sure makes for a rusty person welding especially when you can no longer get into a happy comfortable position with a bad back. This is the big killer of welding these days, no more many hours of welding time anymore.
Enjoy it while you can it's a great talent to have when the body is not damaged, note body not brain a thin line here. Cheers.
A good weld should speak for itself with no grinding at all needed. "Grinding is hiding something my instructors always told me and one especially wanted to see zero grinding done on his project samples.

Hey marin; where ya located in Kalifornia? Welcome aboard this is a great forum.

Never meant to make it sound easy mate, I'm by no means a great welder. But the welding skills i have picked up from various courses and from friends who are qualified in the field have given me enough skills to do the work i do and I don't want to put other people off from giving it a go.

Anyway I have a couple of Pics of the Skid that everything is being mounted on. It is 50x75x3mm RHS, probably going to hot gal dip it once it is finished, Cheers..
Frm.jpg

HX.jpg

Wow... that is freakin amazing.... great work! as pinochio might say... someday i want to be a real brewer

and here i thought i was hot sh*t with my 15 gallon coolers...

What's hilarious is that in the USA, we can only brew 200 gallons per year per household under current law. Your stainless system will produce 50 gallons per batch... so such a sweet system would be usable only 4 times per year here!

What's hilarious is that in the USA, we can only brew 200 gallons per year per household under current law. Your stainless system will produce 50 gallons per batch... so such a sweet system would be usable only 4 times per year here!

Yo can brew as much as you want, but you'd have to give anything over 200G a year to someone else to pitch yeast into!

WOW.

And here I felt all proud that I cut up some foam board insulation with a utility knife and taped it together in a box shape so I could insulate my cheap Igloo cooler that I use for partial mashes. :cross:

Nice job, Jonathon!

-Steve

Cheers guys for the encouraging words,

For all those pm's and messages asking about plans unfortunately there are no plans to speak of, I just build as I go with whatever materials I find. The only thing I can offer is more pictures.

Mate, that fugga's grouse. Onya.

Oh, and just noticed the FJ ute in the background... now I'm really jealous...

Is it per household, or per adult in said household?

That would be hard to keep track of as my friend has passed 600 gallons by September about every year. Here in California it's 100 gallons per person, a family with two adults 200 gallons total. Prove it going over the limit I must ask. And no hard feelings on how simple and easy it is to weld, I made a mess out of a weld or more in my times welding. Those off days that can bite you, quit fighting it and come back another time. I'm glad there are others out there doing good as I have total idiots all around where I live. They can't even lift a car hood not alone build a race frame or motor, total magic to them. Were just all different.

Legally, except in a few states, it's 100 gal per adult or 200 gal per household, max.
In Georgia, it's 50 gal max.
So, unless you're telling on yourself or have some very uncool friends, I'm sure you're not on the police most-wanted list.

Prost!

What part of Australia? I'm in Perth for business now and again. I'd take you to that giant brewpub in Free-o (I was too drunk to remember the name, or even if it was good brew) just to hear about the build.

I've been BLINDED!!! All that SS hurts my eyes, but I just couldn't take my eyes off the pic's!

I'm greeeeeeeeen with envy!

Prost!!! Love to see it when you are all done. Your beer parties must be spectacular! yea and you thought none of us noticed the taps and bar in that Garage pic... he hehe.

Andy:
I live in a small coastal town in Victoria about 4 hours from Melbourne. "Little Creatures" is the place your referring to I would think, It's always my first port of call when I visit WA. If your ever down this way let me know..

FxdGrMind:
Yeah had a few parties In my time!!

Cheers guys.

Hey brewers,
Brewery going well, away from home at the moment so I have put a bit of a rendering together.

digit.bmp

Can I just say WOW again, So you got it operational yet?
I think I would need some serious homebrew buddies and good beer drinkers to utilize that setup properly. Friggin Awesome.
And if I may say again in all honesty. I HATE YOU!
(green with envy).

Jonathon
I think your pumps are undersized by at least 200%

Ok OK OK I am just trying to find something to bag on you about, because my jealous rage is killing me!!!!! :D

Nice work! I find myself enjoying the building almost as much as the brewing too. Keeps my friends happy with slightly used equipment though...

Yea, but now that iPhones have moved away from the original all shiny one to black, he won't have one will he, cos if it's not stainless, it don't cut the mustard.

Have you tried out the peristaltic pump you built yet? If you have, post about it on the diy peristaltic thread....

Yea, but now that iPhones have moved away from the original all shiny one to black, he won't have one will he, cos if it's not stainless, it don't cut the mustard.

Have you tried out the peristaltic pump you built yet? If you have, post about it on the diy peristaltic thread....

Stainless or not at all!! :rockin:

Haven't used pump yet too much going on but will do..

got a new vid

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
What, are they givin away the stainless steel down there? Man thats a lot of SS.
Nice build!

PS: Pm if you want pics of my 7.5 gallon boil kettle and 5 gallon cooler setup, it rocks! ;)

Your video is very inspiring Jonathan. Amazing work with everything! The love you have for what you do just pours out of that place.

Is your 200L system operational yet? If not, what do you lack at this point? We'd love to see it run, if you could ever manage to shoot another video while brewing.

Thanks so much for posting this !

Cheers

What, are they givin away the stainless steel down there? Man thats a lot of SS.
Nice build!

PS: Pm if you want pics of my 7.5 gallon boil kettle and 5 gallon cooler setup, it rocks! ;)

I source most of my stainless scrounging around old dairies and auctions, best thing about stainless is no matter how crap it looks it always cleans up like new..
:cross: I might take you up on that offer when i'm in need of some inspirations ..
Cheers

Your video is very inspiring Jonathan. Amazing work with everything! The love you have for what you do just pours out of that place.

Is your 200L system operational yet? If not, what do you lack at this point? We'd love to see it run, if you could ever manage to shoot another video while brewing.

Thanks so much for posting this !

Cheers

No worries mate,
How could I not love it, it's all my hobbies rolled into one..

The main things left to do are:

-Complete the mashtun mixing arms and gear motor
-Gal dip the base
-Program the PLC and touchscreen interface

And the "when I find time" list:

-automated grain delivery
-automated hop additions

Then
-Fill it up and brew, brew brew....:rockin:

Cheers guys.

Outstanding Jonathon
Sir this is belongs in the epic diy section. while i go clean my f**king buckets and turkey fryer

Cheers mate,
At least you have time to brew!! I seem to be building and very little brewing lately....

Back