hydrometer sample.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajake83

Reaction score
Im on my second beer brew and I am working on a pumpkin stout. I like a moron didn't take a reading before secondary fermentation. I figured eight days was good it bubbled the airlock for 3 days. Now in secondary stage I move it to the kitchen the night before bottling day (today) and BOOM airlock activity like day two of fermenting. Im wondering if I stirred up activity from the trub? To check this I think I need a hydrometer reading but im unsure what container to use for a sample? Any help would be great.
Also if any one knows a good book I could read on beer making practices?

Awesome! I broke a hydrometer on my first brew cleaning it. I saved the tube from it because im a pack rat I guess. Both sides have padding in them and im not sure if it will make the reading askew or not, so ill be sure to remove them. Thanks for the information hopefully it can be bottled tomorrow and ready before christmas

As long as the hydrometer doesn't touch anything, it will not be affected by what is in the tube with it. I wouldn't worry about the foam padding, but it wouldn't hurt to get it out if you can. Btw, I sample and take hydrometer readings with my wine thief - a fantastic device that makes sampling really easy and is just about perfect for my hydrometer.

As far as your explosion, sorry to hear it. Where did store the fermenter before the kitchen? If it was someplace considerably cooler, that may account for the stop and restart of the fermentation.

Always take hydro reading to ensure fermentation is done vs. how many days it's been in the fermenter.

I used to use the tube the hydrometer comes in for a test tube. Then I bought a plastic hydrometer test tube thingy for like 5 bucks from my LHBS. Now I use buckets for fermenters and just drop the sanitized hydrometer right in the brew in the bucket.

Gary

I have an old wardrobe in my spare bedroom, the room stays at a consistent 68 deg. My girlfriend got me a handle for my carboy and I carried it to the kitchen to sit on the counter for settling before bottling. I haven't seen any more airlock activity, so im thinking it was just just from movement.

I have an old wardrobe in my spare bedroom, the room stays at a consistent 68 deg. My girlfriend got me a handle for my carboy and I carried it to the kitchen to sit on the counter for settling before bottling. I haven't seen any more airlock activity, so im thinking it was just just from movement.

If the handle she got you for the carboy goes on the neck, never use this for carrying a full carboy or you're likely to get a trip to the hospital's emergency room. The neck will break and the carboy will hit the floor and explode.

When you move the fermented beer it usually has some CO2 dissolved in it that will come out of solution and that will bubble the airlock. You also may have moved it to a warmer location and the temperature difference will also cause airlock action.

Yeah,the warmer temps &/or movement will cause co2 to come out of soultion. But for secondary,that can be a good thing. It'll protect the beer & bubble off the excess gas.:mug:

That had to be what was going on no action from airlock since the initial move. Thanks for all the advice and information. Cheers

Back