Kellerweiss yeast temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Anyone used it? What temperature, and what results.

I'm trying to find out what temperature best suits this yeast.

I haven't used it, but I think it's a Bavarian Weizen strain. You could start it out around 66 and let the temp rise a little to around 72 and it will give you a really clovey profile. If you want a more subdued spiciness, just ferment around 65 for the whole fermentation.

Cheers!

IIRC, cold for clove, warm for banana. If you're looking for a Kellerweiss clone-ish, banana is important.

IIRC, cold for clove, warm for banana. If you're looking for a Kellerweiss clone-ish, banana is important.

+1

Piratwolf is right. I meant to say that the initial low temp would promote the formation of clove and then the raised temp would cause some of the banana flavors to come out. This would give you a true Kellerweis beer.

Are you culturing the yeast out of a bottle of Kellerweis?

aubiecat said:
The one reasons I like Kellerweis so much is because I don't get the banana flavor.

It's been awhile, but I recall a touch of banana sweetness. Is that what you mean? Or do you really get zero banana?

Are you culturing the yeast out of a bottle of Kellerweis?

I harvested some from bottles a couple of years ago. Used it several times and was very disappointed with it. Thought I might wake it up from storage and try again, if I could find anything to tell me how to use it differently.

Last time I didn't use any temperature control. Since the fer,menter would have been on my concrete floor, I would guess the temperature stayed pretty close to mid 60s.

From listening to jamil on the brewing network, he suggests going low temp on hefe's. 62 to 64 degrees. Let it sit there until done. It's hard to do it that low initially, but try it. It really gets you a great balanced hefe. And I have done this w/ wyeast hefe strain (3068 I think) and cultured kellerweise yeast.

Latest posts

Back