Partial Mash, you are my lilypad...Hop Utilization ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
Ok, I have about ten extract w/ steeping grain batches under my belt. I thought I would step up to the next level but now understand that partial mash is basically glorified steeping. So I have ordered all applicable items (bigger pot, propane burner, copper for IC and 10 gallon cooler) for AG.

Just prior to that I also (like an idiot) ordered three extract kits from AHS.

I am going to purchase the extra grains to bring those to a mini-mash recipe. Already in the works.

My question is I would like to get used to full boils, so would doing a full boil with the partial mash recipe throw off the hop utilization or am I ok? It would be the difference of boiling with ~3 gallons v. ~6 gallons with the same amount of hops?

Anyone?

Thanks and I hope the weather in your corner was as nice as in Seattle today,
~Diz

Your beer would come out much more bitter if you used all the hops with a full boil. The hops oils are more efficiently used with the greater amount of water.

If you want to stay with the beer's style and keep the IBUs in the range advertised on your kit, then you will need to reduce the hops.

full boil will be fine and actually give you a more accurate hop utilization. just be sure to add any extract before adding hops. Also be sure to oxygenate because full boils will leave you with no O2.

You will get better utilization with the full boil. How much is hard to tell. Hop utilization is lower with higher gravities, which you find in partial boils. Your gravity will be lower than final, so you will absorb more hop oils. I'm not familiar with AHS kits, so I don't know if they actually give you enough hops or what.

You could make one kit with a full boil to practice that. Then save the extract from another for starters. And use what's left for an Imperial Stout or Strong Ale, if you would want to drink such a thing. Just an idea ;)

I'll have to side with Whoneedsabeer on this one. Not sure what goose means about "more accurate hop utilization." You would be MORE utilization doing a partial boil recipe as a full boil. It would be like doing the partial boil and adding extra hops.

Your beer would come out much more bitter if you used all the hops with a full boil. The hops oils are more efficiently used with the greater amount of water.

If you want to stay with the beer's style and keep the IBUs in the range advertised on your kit, then you will need to reduce the hops.

I has to do with gravity...if you do 3 gallons and typically add all your dme/lme and then dilute at the end in fermentor, the gravity of the boiling wort will be much higher then the actual OG. Therefore the hops utilization will be lower and you will need more hops. But if you add 3/5ths of you sugars and then boil and hop. Then add the other 2/5 sugars at the end, hops will be added to wort with gravity similar to the actual starting gravity and it would be the same as doing a full boil with all sugars added before hopping.

I has to do with gravity...if you do 3 gallons and typically add all your dme/lme and then dilute at the end in fermentor, the gravity of the boiling wort will be much higher then the actual OG. Therefore the hops utilization will be lower and you will need more hops. But if you add 3/5ths of you sugars and then boil and hop. Then add the other 2/5 sugars at the end, hops will be added to wort with gravity similar to the actual starting gravity and it would be the same as doing a full boil with all sugars added before hopping.

Exactly. So, if he's doing a kit that's meant for a partial boil, does every thing else the same but does it with a full boil, then he's going to get higher utilization of his hops. Therefore he needs to reduce the amount of hops in order for the final product to come out the same.

Exactly. So, if he's doing a kit that's meant for a partial boil, does every thing else the same but does it with a full boil, then he's going to get higher utilization of his hops. Therefore he needs to reduce the amount of hops in order for the final product to come out the same.

Exactly. Yes.

Ok, so less hops......is this a job for Beersmith...which I am (very) slowly becoming familiar with.

Or the other question I have is, why screw around with the recipe do the three as prescribed, boil ~3 gallons, and get on with AG when that brew day comes..........

In beersmith, enter the recipe as it is. Then write down the IBU number. Then after you increase the boil volume you can adjust the hops until the IBU's are back where they belong.

I got you. I just didn't read OP correctly.
:mug:

Back