Sanitizing PT bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendalljd7

Reaction score
Should I or is it ok to bottle soda without sanitizing since they aren't sitting around as long as a beer fermentation?

Should I or is it ok to bottle soda without sanitizing since they aren't sitting around as long as a beer fermentation?

any equipment or vessel that will touch, or contain ANY type of homebrew be it soda, wine, beer, mead or cider, no matter at what stage in the creation process - weather it be starting, aging, or bottling, SHOULD BE SANITIZED PRIOR TO USE.

(unless you like the taste of infected batches of your brew)

mind you, what your brews get infected with won't actually HARM you - it'll just render the brew unpleasant and off flavored, resulting in it's commitment to the drain. and basically waste your investment in materials and time.

I would think this is of critical importance in soda making, as there will be no self preserving alchohol in the brew to help retard growth of any unpleasant bad actors. and you'll still have plenty of edible sugars just begging to get munched by some evil microbe.

any equipment or vessel that will touch, or contain ANY type of homebrew be it soda, wine, beer, mead or cider, no matter at what stage in the creation process - weather it be starting, aging, or bottling, SHOULD BE SANITIZED PRIOR TO USE.

Anything that comes in contact post boil just to clarify. If your kettle or immersion chiller isn't sanitized, it doesn't really matter. 15+ minutes in boiling wort kills anything.

Anything that comes in contact post boil just to clarify. If your kettle or immersion chiller isn't sanitized, it doesn't really matter. 15+ minutes in boiling wort kills anything.

oops!!, quite right.

I've only made one beer and make mostly ciders/wines, so I don't usually boil anything... forgot about the "boil" used in beer making

I'm gonna go the other way and say it's not that important with a soda.

Generally, infections are late developing and take place after the yeast has stopped going nuts and are no longer consuming all there is to consume. Your soda is placed in the fridge effectively at the start of fermentation, the yeast have likely dominated any microbes present and taken their lunch money.

At this point, you place it in the refrigerator, which is designed to inhibit pretty much all bacterial activity. The only real concern I'd have with sanitation is some sort of wild yeast that is related to lager yeast and has no issues with cold temps (but even lager yeasts don't like it that cold).

I wouldn't keep soda in an unsanitized container for more than a week, but if I'm going to drink it all right away, I wouldn't stress out about it.

All that said, I do sanitize my soda bottles and siphons and whatever else I use to make the soda. It's cheap, easy, and doesn't take long. But if for some reason I couldn't get my hands on any bleach and really wanted to make some soda, I'd probably go ahead and do it.

Back