CO2 refills in North Dallas area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked one of the places that sells kegs in Plano that offers exchanges for 5 lb bottles and they said they send the empties to Ferguson also.
So, at least this way you keep your bottle (hopefully) and cut out the middle man. Any place that refills them will have a similar setup. That is, if they do it right with a pumper. I suspect other places just fill from a larger cylinder and that's why we see reports of being 'short changed' on fills.

BTW - Home Depot exchange is a bust unless you have one of their brand tanks. Plus the tanks are female threaded (I know there is an adapter).

I initially went to the Home Depot off Custer and Virginia, and the guy there said all the only tanks they carry are female threaded and I would have to buy an adapter. After a lot of unsuccessful stops at different locations (most places had nothing but empties for the longest time), I finally found a full one at the 75/380 location. I exchanged my very old, steel, way outdated hydro test tank for a new looking, male threaded, aluminum one with a recent test(and plastic collar, which was an extra bonus).

Total cost for this 20# swap was like $22.50. So, I would say if you need a hyrdo test on a 10# or 20# tank, or just have an old beat up steel tank and you want a nice looking aluminum one just swap it out at Home Depot. Obviously no guarantee they will have nice looking aluminum ones, but if your tank is as crappy as mine was (cheap craigslist find) then whatever they have to offer will surely be better.

The guy asked me what I was using it for, when I said beer dispensing he told me they are technically not supposed to sell their tanks for food/beverage use. He was cool about it, though.

With that said, anybody know of a place that will exchange a 5# tank without looking at my current tank's hydro date?

I know this thread has been dead a little while, but i found it earlier today when i was searching for the same thing so i figured i would add in my 2 cents.

I went to Homebrew HQ and they had recommended Mr. G's at coit and 15th st. You can buy used 5lb tanks and they are full of CO2 for $90 (at HB HQ they are $100new and unfilled). And their exchange rate is ~$17. I bought a used tank today, and it looks to be in great condition.

Thumbs up to Koetter Fire Protection. I went in there on Friday, July 1st and they filled my 5 LB tank for $9.90 + tax.

I've used Ferguson Gas in Frisco and it was about $17 for a 2.5lb refill.

http://fergusongases.com/

I've also gone to Shax Liquor in Lake Dallas and they charged $5 for the 2.5lb refill. Note that Shax only fills from a tank in the rear of the store and I was about a lb short, but that was ok with me. I need to get a 5lb tank!

I went to Homebrew HQ and they had recommended Mr. G's at coit and 15th st. You can buy used 5lb tanks and they are full of CO2 for $90 (at HB HQ they are $100new and unfilled). And their exchange rate is ~$17. I bought a used tank today, and it looks to be in great condition.

Homebrew HQ suggested ParkIt Market for me, although it probably depends on where you live. There's an AirGas location closer to me, so it might be worth it even if I have to pay more.

ParkIt Market looked interested though, how's the beer selection there, anyone know?

Three L Welding Supply & Equipment Co
1139 Fort Worth Drive, Denton, TX 76205-5815
(940) 566-2363 ‎
8-5 M-F
9-12 Sat

5#/4# @ 13.95

Allied Welding Supply
1811 Shady Oaks Dr #100, Denton, TX 76205-6322
(940) 387-3243 ‎
7:30 - 5 MF

Was quoted ~$12 for a 4# fill.

Will be trying one or the other in the next day or so.

It was not requested/required for my tank to be cold, and I did not check my tank's weight after filling (something I plan to do the next time) However, I did hear a couple rounds of venting from the back room, which I assume is why my tank was cold when returned. Admittedly, I am new to this.

It was not requested/required for my tank to be cold, and I did not check my tank's weight after filling (something I plan to do the next time) However, I did hear a couple rounds of venting from the back room, which I assume is why my tank was cold when returned. Admittedly, I am new to this.

Thanks.

I ended up exchanging my tank for a different Aluminum tank at Kegs and Barrels on Parker in Plano. $18+ for the exchange and the new tank is actually newer (05/11) than the one I traded in (10/09). :rockin:

Thanks.

I ended up exchanging my tank for a different Aluminum tank at Kegs and Barrels on Parker in Plano. $18+ for the exchange and the new tank is actually newer (05/11) than the one I traded in (10/09). :rockin:

Unfortunately, my recently full "new" tank was drained empty by a faulty gas line. Dang. Gotta start all over again..... :mad:

So I'm about to save some people some money =) CoolKegs in Arlington will do free co2 refills for anyone who has bought from them ;)

I've used Ferguson Gas in Frisco and it was about $17 for a 2.5lb refill.

http://fergusongases.com/

I've also gone to Shax Liquor in Lake Dallas and they charged $5 for the 2.5lb refill. Note that Shax only fills from a tank in the rear of the store and I was about a lb short, but that was ok with me. I need to get a 5lb tank!

Holy cow, I know this is a year-old post right here, but you just saved me a ton of cash and a bunch of worry. I live in Little Elm, so was hoping to find somewhere reasonably close to home. Shax's? I grew up in Lake Dallas. Been to Shax's a hundred times. Would never have guess they refilled tanks. And it's cheaper than anywhere else I've found. Thanks man!

And another thumbs up to Koetter Fire Protection. I went in there during lunch today and they filled my 5 LB tank for a total of $10.72. I just went around back and a guy met me at door on the south(ish) corner of the building and took me inside while they filled it. They just set it on a big scale, hooked everything up, set the tare and filled 'er up in a matter of seconds!

Funny that this thread got a bump today. I re-read it last night as i was going to get my new tank filled today. Because i had to go to lhbs for o-rings anyway, i decided to go ahead and trade the tank there since thats where i bought it. $20 for a 5 lb trade at wine makers toy store. Koetter is pretty close to my office so i will fill there from now on.

I went to Kirco Welding Supply In Garland and they are open Saturdays!!!
300 Lavon Dr.
972-494-0494
And not only did they give me a full fill 15 lbs for 16 bucks and they where also supper friendly and under new ownership. These guys are amazing and they also have a location in Sunnyvalle
607 US Hwy 80
972-226-9353
I would highly recommend them!!!

Just one more option.
Simplex Grinnell in Richardson refills CO2. @ Collins and Glenville.
They will also hydro your tank if it needs.
Go to the back, there is a door marked 'Suppression', easier than going to the front.

I've got to give props to Shucks liquor in Lake Dallas of the swisher rd exit.

I live close by and stopped after work - refilled my 5# co2 tank 12.99 out the door. That's the cheapest I have found.

Just one more option.
Simplex Grinnell in Richardson refills CO2. @ Collins and Glenville.
They will also hydro your tank if it needs.
Go to the back, there is a door marked 'Suppression', easier than going to the front.

How much do they charge for 5lb and 20lb tanks?

I'm not seeing a Shucks Liquor in Lake Dallas.... Does anyone have more info on this? Or a good place to go for refills in Denton? Thx!

Edit: Sorry, I guess I don't know how to use the quote function either....

I'm not seeing a Shucks Liquor in Lake Dallas.... Does anyone have more info on this? Or a good place to go for refills in Denton? Thx!

Edit: Sorry, I guess I don't know how to use the quote function either....

It is actually Shax Liquor in Lake Dallas..It is located on the frontage road right off IH35E. Here is the info:

311 W Hundley Dr,
Lake Dallas, TX ‎
(940) 497-4542

I would recommend against going to Shax for a CO2 refill, unless you have no other option. Their scale is broken, and unless you bring your own, it is just a guess at how much CO2 is actually being put in your tank.

A couple better options in North Dallas, that I have found are..

1) Fine Vine Wines (1500 N. I35E)
=>$20 for a 5lb tank exchange (if tank is still certified)
=>$45 if the tank certification is expired

2) Koetter Fire (10351 Olympic)
=> $12.50 for refill on 5lb tank
=> $18.00 for hydrostatic testing and re-certification

I would recommend against going to Shax for a CO2 refill, unless you have no other option. Their scale is broken, and unless you bring your own, it is just a guess at how much CO2 is actually being put in your tank.

A couple better options in North Dallas, that I have found are..

1) Fine Vine Wines (1500 N. I35E)
=>$20 for a 5lb tank exchange (if tank is still certified)
=>$45 if the tank certification is expired

2) Koetter Fire (10351 Olympic)
=> $12.50 for refill on 5lb tank
=> $18.00 for hydrostatic testing and re-certification

Fine Vine wines is aka Winemakers Toy Store aka Dallas Homebrew and the best LHBS in town. These guys are great and you're in Dallas you need to be buying your ingredients from them!

Fine Vine wines is aka Winemakers Toy Store aka Dallas Homebrew and the best LHBS in town. These guys are great and you're in Dallas you need to be buying your ingredients from them!

I am all about supporting the local LHBS. I am a member of the FVW Growers Club, and do spend quite a bit of money with them. :) It doesn't hurt that I pass by there every day on my way home from work. :mug:

I am all about supporting the local LHBS. I am a member of the FVW Growers Club, and do spend quite a bit of money with them. :) It doesn't hurt that I pass by there every day on my way home from work. :mug:
Yup. Twice a day, everyday. But even without the great locale for me, it really is the best LHBS in town. And yes, I earn my Growers Club discounts as well! ha

Just filled my 5 lb and 20 lb tanks at Simplex Grinnell in Richardson for $38 total while I waited.

Andy

Found my new go to for CO2 refills, which is convenient for those that live close to Denton. 3 L Welding Supply off of HWY 377. <$15.95 to refill 5lb to 20lb tank>

Bad news folks.I just got back from Koetter in Dallas. New policy is in place. Single tank fill ups are $20. If you bring in multiple tanks, they will fill them at the regular price, but single tanks have gone up. Sucks for me, because they are about 4 blocks from my office. Time to find a new place to fill my Co2.

Sad to hear about that:( I usually go there on my lunch breaks when I need a fill since they're close to work for me too. For my 5# that's almost double the price. Guess I need to get 10# or bigger to make it worth the trip!

Sad to hear about that:( I usually go there on my lunch breaks when I need a fill since they're close to work for me too. For my 5# that's almost double the price. Guess I need to get 10# or bigger to make it worth the trip!
I think you're right. But I did some more checking around and re-read this thread, and even at $20, seems like they are still the cheapest.

May not be close enough for you guys but I just refilled my 5# at Simplex Grinnell last week for $8.50 after a new 2 port manifold had a leak and emptied it for me. Should have leak checked it.

Andy

I use Bacon Equipment on Beckley. 12 bucks and 5 mins later you are out!

Bumping an old thread. Their price is $16.75+tax for a 20lb refill. In and out though.

One of the guys at HBHQ also mentioned this place, don't know price though.

Garland Welding Supply
1960 Forest Ln
Garland, TX 75042

I filled my 7# tank at Garland WS couple weeks ago and it was about 15 for that. That was about 3 bucks higher than 6 months prior to that.

Back