Craigslist Fridge Temp Control Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nierika

Reaction score
I currently have a $20 fridge I scored off of craigslist. Plugged it in and it seemed to be working fine, except on 2 occasions I noticed the compressor didn't want to kick on. I have some bottles of ice in the freezer and both times this happened they were partially melted when I found out. When I opened the fridge part and pushed the button for the light (which seemed to stick a little) the compressor kicked right on. Is it possible that the temperature control is inside the housing, and/or connected to the light switch? I'm thinking it might just need to be cleaned. I want to figure this out before I start putting beer in there.

If cleaning doesn't work, I thought about replacing the temp control. Are temperature controls interchangeable for fridges and freezers. I ask, because I think I would like to upgrade to a keezer when we move into a bigger apartment in august. I would only want to spend $ on a temp control that I could use on the keezer. Anyone have a similar experience?

Crossingnierika said:
I currently have a $20 fridge I scored off of craigslist. Plugged it in and it seemed to be working fine, except on 2 occasions I noticed the compressor didn't want to kick on. I have some bottles of ice in the freezer and both times this happened they were partially melted when I found out.

Maybe it initiated a defrost cycle for some reason?

Back