Autosiphon check valve fell out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj8scrambler

Reaction score
I knocked my autosiphon off of the counter onto the ground and the check valve popped out of it. This is the 2nd autosiphon of mine that this has happened to. The first time it cracked the tube, so I went out and bought a new one. However this time, there is nothing wrong with it except for the missing check valve.

6944-autosiphon_check.jpg

Has anyone succesfully gotten this thing seated back in correctly? I tried rigging something up with thin wire and pulling it back into place, but I couldn't get it seated back in correctly. It seems like it will take quite a bit of force to get the two tabs locked in. Since it has to go in from the long end of the tube, it's difficult to get it lined up.

cj8scrambler said:
I knocked my autosiphon off of the counter onto the ground and the check valve popped out of it. This is the 2nd autosiphon of mine that this has happened to. The first time it cracked the tube, so I went out and bought a new one. However this time, there is nothing wrong with it except for the missing check valve.

6944-autosiphon_check.jpg

Has anyone succesfully gotten this thing seated back in correctly? I tried rigging something up with thin wire and pulling it back into place, but I couldn't get it seated back in correctly. It seems like it will take quite a bit of force to get the two tabs locked in. Since it has to go in from the long end of the tube, it's difficult to get it lined up.
I have not done it but if I had to I would take a 1/4 inch wood dowel, put some double sided tape on the end, stick the plunger thingy to the rod and push it back in. When it's snapped back in you should be able to pull the dowel back out with the tape still on it (I hope).

mine came out the other day when I was trying to clean out the hop leaves from the valve (long story that you can probably figure out. I used another long racking cane I had to place the valve back in, it took a long while and about a million tried to get it in the right orientation, but getting it popped in wasn't that hard. It would be nice if they made the black fittings on the ends removable somehow for cleaning purposes.

I didn't have any dowels long enough and thin enough to reach. I was able to fix it with a broken racking cane from one of the auto siphons (accidentally slammed it in a door). I put some gum on the end of it, stuck the check valve piece on it and popped it right into place on the first try. The gum stuck better to the racking cane then the check valve piece so I didn't have any gum stuck at the bottom of the autosiphon when I was done. Guess I'll have to keep the broken racking cane now.

This probably won't work with an un 'modified' cane without first breaking off the 90 degree bend because it can't quite reach down far enough. Also taking off the rubber gasket on the tip of the cane made it easy to slide and position.

6944-IMG_0327.JPG

The same thing happened to me. I bent a paper clip and was able to pull the tab down and snap it in place. It took about 20 minutes.

Took a dowel with some sticky tack on the end. Pushed the checkvalve onto the tack, but just enough to make it stay. Stuck it upwards into the autsiphon body to keep it from falling off. 2 mins.

I used a 1/4" dowel with fishing line pulling the check valve against the dowel. After a bit of work I got it to pop in. Then just let go of one end of the fishing line and pull it out. No residue to worry about.

That is so smart mZnthebend. I'll try that.

Thanks all for this thread! I just ran into this issue. Wish me luck.

I tried the tape-and-dowel but couldn't get the CV oriented. I thought I had it, pushed, and broke off one of the legs.
For now I'll just suck till the hose is full and then turn the hose down into the bucket. If that works I don't think I will get a new one.

This siphon is a piece of crap. I used one today for the first time. Not only did the cap keep falling, this little thing fell and I have no idea where it is supposed to go and in what orientation. I am curious why none of you took the black plastic end of the siphon out. Off topic, my auto siphon was not only NOT siphoning by the time this thing fell, but also was NOT auto at all, as I had to pump the beer the whole time, oxygenating as ****.

This siphon is a piece of crap. I used one today for the first time. Not only did the cap keep falling, this little thing fell and I have no idea where it is supposed to go and in what orientation. I am curious why none of you took the black plastic end of the siphon out. Off topic, my auto siphon was not only NOT siphoning by the time this thing fell, but also was NOT auto at all, as I had to pump the beer the whole time, oxygenating as fudge.

You either got a defective one or you are doing something seriously wrong. I would not trade my autosiphon for anything but a co2 type transfer system. They work beautifully. One pump is all it should take. My guess is that the rubber fitting on the end of the cane did not seal to the tube.

Latest posts

Back