Raspberry wheat recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwheel

Reaction score
I want to brew up a raspberry wheat beer, and was hoping for any input on the following recipe. I will add about 1lb of raspberry goodness just after high krausen (blend 2-3 lbs of raspberries, then strain thru a fine mesh bag). I generally like fruit beers but only if there is not a strong aroma - I think sometimes that ruins it, so my thought is adding to primary might help with this just like it can do with hop aroma.

My main question is about the ratio of wheat and pilsner, and whether I should add a lb of Vienna (which I love) or maybe a lb of Crystal 20L or something like that.

Thanks for any advice!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Raspberry Wheat
Brewer: James
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 41.0 %
4 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 41.0 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 10.3 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.1 %
4.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 2.6 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 55.0 min Hop 6 14.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.9 IBUs

1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 8.78 qt of water at 132.1 F 122.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Add 7.80 qt of water at 192.6 F 152.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Add 6.82 qt of water at 211.0 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.61 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it looks good. As for not wanting the aroma, for me, that's where I most want to notice adjuncts, like fruit. Last winter, I made a nice pale ale with juniper berries and lemon peel - it had a nice, balanced aroma which I thought enhanced the pale ale. But that's the great thing about handmade beer - you can make what you like!

I think 50/50 on the pilsner and wheat malt is good. I also think adding a pound or two of vienna or munich makes sense - more sense than caramel or crystal malts.

You didn't ask about this, but I would drop the Cara-Pils - with the wheat malt, I think its unnecessary for head retention or body. Also, I wouldn't do an aroma hop addition for this kind of beer, but that goes back to what you want in this beer's aroma.

Finally, I would not use a Hefeweizen yeast in a fruit beer. It gives a lot of flavors and aromas of its own off, especially banana and clove. Unless, of course, you are going for a Raspberry Hefeweizen. I would use either a WLP001 (or dry equivalent like US-05), Nottingham (dry), or WLP028 (Edinburgh strain), all of which will give you a clean flavor profile if fermented at 65 or less. You do not need a 'wheat yeast' to ferment a wheat beer.

Good luck!

You have no idea how much this has helped. Thank you!! I agree with every one of your suggestions. I have WLP001 handy so that will save money :) I'll drop the Carapils, and maybe bump up the Vienna a little.

Just curious: why do you suggest Vienna in lieu of Caramel? I'm going to use the Vienna as you recommend, just curious!

Thanks again

Just curious: why do you suggest Vienna in lieu of Caramel?

Often, you want fruit beers to have a light body, and adding Caramel malt will add body, sweetness and raise your final gravity. The Vienna will add maltiness, but not sweetness or body.

Its not a clear 'black and white' choice, though, its just a preference.

Back