American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm here, indulging In this absolutely fantastic creation, this was all grain #2 with simcoe/amarillo. No dry hop , pitched the trub in, used irish moss, and no chill, never been happier!

Here is to you yooper! Cheers!

What does "pitched the trub in" mean?

Brewed my first batch of this yesterday and it smelt awesome when it was going in my bucket--Thanks for the recipe Yooper

I couldn't find anything but can someone tell me which "munich" yooper is talking about. Light/Dark 10 20. Want to buy grains for this and wasn't sure which one is needed.

I couldn't find anything but can someone tell me which "munich" yooper is talking about. Light/Dark 10 20. Want to buy grains for this and wasn't sure which one is needed.

I often use Briess- they only have "Munich" and it's not marked 10/20, but it appears to be around 9L.

I often use Briess- they only have "Munich" and it's not marked 10/20, but it appears to be around 9L.

Thanks yooper. Being the noob I am I meant to make my 10 20 like yours but didn't. Just wasn't sure which munich as I know there are different ones

Delighted with this APA. It really turned out very well with a few minor tweaks to account for differing hop AA% and my system's efficiency. Thanks for sharing your creation with us brewing minnows.

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

Just kegged my second batch of this one. Brewed it again bc the first one was so tasty. Tried the no chilling method this time around and not sure I got the hopping schedule right but the sample was good so I am happy with it. For a 2.5 gallon volume into packaging I did a FWH with 1 oz of Cascades 7.5% then dry hopped for 4 days with another once of the same. Thanks for the recipe Yooper

Just kegged my second batch of this one. Brewed it again bc the first one was so tasty. Tried the no chilling method this time around and not sure I got the hopping schedule right but the sample was good so I am happy with it. For a 2.5 gallon volume into packaging I did a FWH with 1 oz of Cascades 7.5% then dry hopped for 4 days with another once of the same. Thanks for the recipe Yooper

I'm assuming you mean a hop steep or whirlpool when you say "no chilling method". If so, it all really depends on the size of you vessel, how quickly it cools down, and at what temp you throw the hops in. I've gotten great results at just flameout vs 180 and below, but it definitely increases the IBUs significantly

Thanks for the reply, what I meant by no chill was after the boil just letting the wort cool down in the kettle on its own. i let it get to about 120 then threw it in the fermenter and let it cool down the rest of the way on its own overnight then aerated and pitched in the am. There is a hop chart https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/No_Chill_Hop_Adjust.bmp that adjusts the utilization and hop schedule with no chilling but with this recipe it looked like I was supposed to add the 10 minute addition to the already existing FWH addition. the 5 and 1 get added to the dry hop bunch. I left out the dry hop addition since the 5 minute and one minute were already an ounce. seemed like it would have been overkill. what do you think?

Learning the no chill hop timing takes trial and error with your set up.
For hops under 20 min in the regular recipe, I add them at flame-out at different times based on BK temps. I let it cool for 15 min or so (i boil in my kitchen so YMMV), see how far it has dropped, and decide when to add the hops. I like hops so extra don't bother me.
good luck!

Getting ready to brew my second batch in a week or so and I've been looking for a simple American Pale that I can brew over and over and experiment with different combos and amounts of hops. This is the one and I will stick to the recipe this first time.

I brew this one regularly and I also overnight no-chill... I've followed The Pols chart and adjusted hops for no-chill but I've also just followed the recipe as written and no-chilled anyway. Both versions come out good.

For my most recent batch, I followed the hop-schedule as written, but I pulled the hops bag after a short water bath to drop temps some. Then lid on and no chill in the kettle overnight.

That way is pretty tasty, too.

I've found this recipe to be very flexible. It's also quite good with alternate hops as well (to similar IBU levels)

Boiled Tuesday afternoon & started sampling this beer-turned out real nice think I'll brew this again on the weekend

Mine Just came in around 5%, but that's all good for me. Really looking forward to trying the bottles soon. Wort and gravity samples tasted great!

I am planning on brewing this on Saturday as my second all grain. Question for everyone, I have an excess of magnum pellets and was thinking of using it as a fwh bittering hop. What does everyone think? Thus saving my cascade for flavor and aroma.

I am planning on brewing this on Saturday as my second all grain. Question for everyone, I have an excess of magnum pellets and was thinking of using it as a fwh bittering hop. What does everyone think? Thus saving my cascade for flavor and aroma.

Should work well... I've used magnum for bittering in this recipe before to good effect.

EDIT TO ADD

looks like I used Warrior, not magnum...
From my notes, my planned hop schedule was:

Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Warrior 16.0% 0.500 oz FWH 60.000 m 23.2
Warrior 16.0% 0.250 oz Boil 60.000 m 10.6
Warrior 16.0% 0.250 oz Boil 30.000 m 8.1
Cascade 4.0% 0.500 oz Boil 10.000 m 1.9
Cascade 4.0% 1.000 oz Boil 0.000 s 0.0
Cascade 4.0% 1.000 oz Dry 4.000 d 0.0

I meant to then adjust that for no-chill using The_Pol's chart. I forgot to do it for the 1/4 oz at 60m but did adjust for the other additions.

It's been awhile so I can't recall how it compared to the original recipe but I wouldn't hesitate to use warrior again.

I've also done a version with Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus for bittering.

Me and my oldest were drinking Yooper's Ale yesterday while boiling another batch of the same--got pretty well toasted before we got done-----

Brewed my second all grain and my first yooper. I hit all my numbers and was able to overcome the glitches that popped up. I used magnum for the bittering and moved the cascades towards the end, using beersmith to make sure I had the correct amounts. I also used nottingham since my basement is the right temperature now. Wish me luck.

Put this on tap earlier today, gotta say, this beer is freakin great! great malt flavor, good bitterness and hop flavor and aroma, just an all around great beer :drunk::drunk:

I'm brewing this Friday but I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on bumping this recipe up into IPA range? Preferably on the lower end of the IBU range. Has anybody done this?

I'm brewing this Friday but I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on bumping this recipe up into IPA range? Preferably on the lower end of the IBU range. Has anybody done this?

that's all I do. I just add 2 lbs of 2-row and up the flameout to be something near 5 oz or so (depending on the variety and IBU)

I also bump this by a pound of MO, comes out to near IPA range. Getting like 6.7 abv ish, with a good bitter. I did change the hops on my last batch. I used El dorado, calculated to the same rough ibu's as my original batch of this. My original batch used 5.4 AA Cascade hops. So i matched that. Delicious

Ah, I guess that I should add that I don't use MO, I use just a pale 2 row. I'm not sure how an extra 2 lbs of MO will go. I'm such a minority with this, but I can't stand MO, especially in a lighter beer like an IPA

MO just tastes like brown bread crust to me. There are a lot of comparison threads around. It tends to get "deeper" and "toastier" as descriptions

Brewed this today from the recipe - only changes were that I used a whole oz. at 30 minutes instead of .75 and I added the last 2 oz. together at 5 minutes.
Had trouble hitting my mash temp - started out a little low then added too much and ended up over. I was about 30 minutes in before I got on target so I let the mash go about 10 minutes over. Not sure if that was the right thing to do there or not.
My OG was 1.044 - does that sound right or is it low?

Forgot to correct for temperature so OG was actually 1.045 or 1.046.

Just brewed this as a No Sparge, No Chill, No Yeast Wash. I dropped the specialty malts a bit to lower the gravity a bit {for less calories} and use what I had. OG 1.047.
My second Yooper brew in a row!

Fixing to do yooper's recipe exactly the way he did it but scaled down to a 1 gallon batch and tweak as I need. (doubt I'll need to, he's brilliant)

Fixing to do yooper's recipe exactly the way he did it but scaled down to a 1 gallon batch and tweak as I need. (doubt I'll need to, he's brilliant)

LOL... Does that sig look like a "he"?

1 gal batch? Now I'm trying to figure out who's the girl...

JUST KIDDING!!! :D

Back