Rousing yeast during barleywine primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
I read somewhere that, when doing a big beer like a barley-wine, it is advisable to rouse the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter during primary fermentation, to keep as much of the yeast in suspension as possible and get the beer down to target FG.

My wheat-wine started at 1.113, I made a 1L starter with WLP007, aerated well, and I saw bubbles in the airlock sooner than 10 hours later. It's in ballpark 60 degrees fahrenheit right now, and I'm planning on raising the fermentation temperature towards 68-70 as it gets closer and closer to FG.

Should I do this rousing of the yeast, and if so, how should I do it without oxidizing the beer?

For some reason a lot of brewers think that just because there's space above the beer there's oxygen. It's not always the case. Oxidation only happens when there's oxygen present. CO2 is heavier than air, since primary fermentation is already happening and there's nothing but CO2 above the beer, there's no oxygen present.

What I do to rouse the yeast is swirl the fermenter around, it seems to get it roused up pretty easily.

Back