full boil/partial boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingC

Reaction score
Hey guys. I want to start my 4th brew within the next couple of weeks but have a quick question for y'all. I have a few wheat beer recipes that I want to try, and I was wondering if I can use the same amount of ingredients given for a 5 gallon boil and use them the same way (i.e same amounts, boil times ect..) for a partial boil? I would assume that there wouldn't be too much difference, but then again this will only be my 4th brew so what do I know! Thanks for any help. I have an itch for a nice wheat beer. :mug:

I'm pretty new at this, but yes you can definitely do this, but I think the beer will turn out a little different than if you did a full boil. At the same time I'm sure the beer will still be good.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the hops will have a different effect if you have a full boil with less sugars from the malt than with a partial boil with concentrated amounts of sugars because you will be adding water after the boil.

When you do a full boil you need to adjust your hops. With a full boil the gravity of your boil is lower so you get better hop utilization. If your ingredients are for a partial boil and you decide to do a full boil, you will need to reduce the amount of hops you use.

Post your recipe and recipe instructions along with the boil size you want and someone can run the numbers for you.

Back