Stainless Steel Airstone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I have an aeration system I bought from Northern Brewer, complete with stainless steel airstone. From what I've read, to sanitize it you should boil it for 15 minutes prior to use. Is this procedure correct?

I can tell you what I do with mine... I soak it in my iodine solution for about 15 mins to allow the sanitizer to soak into the stone well. You can be sure that the stone is saturated when the iodine solution is seen working its way up the tube (if you keep the air tube on it during sanitation which is what I do). I then take it out of the solution and turn on the air to it so that it pushes all of the sanitizing solution out of the hose and air stone. Once there are no more bubbles coming from the stone, it is probably dry enough to use but I usually let it go for a bit longer till I am ready to put it in my starters or my wort. When letting it dry in this manner, make sure that its not resting on a surface but suspended by the hose so that all of the cleanser will drip off.

I have the same one, boiling is a cheap and effective way of sanitizing it.

anyone have a stone that got clogged? I can't blow through mine anymore - no bubbles, nothin. I tried boiling but that didn't work, next I guess I'll try star san.

If you have a self-cleaning oven, you can try putting the stone in there during a cleaning cycle. Gets hot enough that any organic material clogging the pores should turn to ash, which would blow out easily with the aeration pump.

thanks for the idea! I'm pretty sure I didn't touch it. It was working fine, submerged, and then wasn't bubbling anymore all of a sudden.

Air stones do eventually wear out, on my fish tanks when I see an obvious decline in the amount of bubbles, I replace them.

Back