Pooched it, Need emergency advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I started an Imperial Stout a month ago. It started out at 1.093 gravity. I decided to just primary it for over a month, and then keg condition it. Today I prepped the keg, prepped the priming sugar, purged the O2 from the keg, then racked it. After I was finished racking I took my final gravity reading. Oh crap its 1.030. Now what do I do. I dont think its finished. Maybe Im wrong, but I really need to hear from the pros on this board.

Thanks,
John

So you have it in a keg? Keep it in there as a secondary and let it finish out. You can purge it every day and check again in a few weeks.

An Imperial Stout is gonna need a few months to finish.

FWIW, I'd say it is close, but I'd like to see it in the 1.020-24 range for it to be considered "done".

Remember though, I tossed in Priming Sugar. I guess Ill just have to remember to purge it every day for a couple of months and then just Force Carb it. Does that sound about right?

You never said you added the priming sugar, you said you prepped it.

With the corn sugar in it, that is going to affect the gravity reading.

You can't do anything about it now, prepare it like you are going to be drinking it soon.

Hmm, how much would 4 oz of priming sugar raise the gravity of 5 gallons of beer? Maybe thats how I blew the final gravity.

Each 2 ounces of priming sugar gives you about 0.01 SG increase. Worst case, the priming sugar would get the yeast going again. Check it in October.

david_42 said:
Each 2 ounces of priming sugar gives you about 0.01 SG increase. Worst case, the priming sugar would get the yeast going again. Check it in October.

On the SG increase I think you meant 1.001 per 2oz, Right? I just punched it in to promash and that is what it said, but i may be wrong.

i agree though either rig up an airlock or a pressure relief and let it age for awhile. A stout with an OG of 93 is going to need a few months to mellow itself out.

Cheers

Very good advice. I have a couple of party taps. Is it the same fitting as the gas side? Most of my kegs have 6 point sockets on both gas and beer side. I could just cut one up and add an airlock. I would feel sooooo much better about not having a keg bomb brewing in my house.

John

New Note: Noooope, beer clip doesnt fit the gas side. However I realized that without a dip tube, it wasnt a beer side anymore. Yay! Now hopefully I havent exposed the beer to the badies.

Back