The [very cool] doctor who thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole episode for me was poorly constructed. Beyond what was mentioned already (Clara, manic Doctor, etc.) I thought the plot around the bad guy was one entire hole. So this robot/cyborg has been on earth since the time of the dinosaurs and supposedly working that entire time to "reach the promised land" and hasn't yet managed to finish his face? or come up with a better escape plan than a hot-air baloon? The huge gears spinning away in his skull was a nice effect but really...electronics? Dr. Who plots don't generally hold up to too much close scrutiny of course but in this case I think they spent too much time focused on Clara and the Doctor's weird mental state and relationship to put enough effort into the plot.

did anyone get a The Girl in the Fireplace vibe off this last episode? time line matches up perfectly! :MUG:

I willingly admit that I do not follow time lines on Dr. Who at all. There are plenty of ways the show break the rules to make it worth the effort.

That said, I did look up that episode and the wiki mentions Deep Breath and the androids from a sister ship that were in it. So they are related, but separate.

Patience.. as I recall, it took a bit for David and Matt both to warm up and get up to speed.. that post-regeneration mania is kind of a b*tch, really...

But River Song can't regenerate anymore... Or have you gotten to that episode yet?

Unless they pull something really kooky, it ain't River.

But River Song can't regenerate anymore... Or have you gotten to that episode yet?

Unless they pull something really kooky, it ain't River.

was going for a post Melody Pond pre River Song vibe! not in order of the show! she could have had many faces before! just puttin it out there! :mug:

Edit: maybe the face before Amy's best friend in "Lets Kill Hitler"

Ok, watched the last 5 minutes again and she called the doctor her boyfriend.. Just weird that they're putting in another relationship with the doctor unless this character is just obsessed with him. Maybe all the BS talk with Clara and the doctor not being her boyfriend makes her obsessed with him later on in her life and she knew where he was and where to get the clockwork robot? LOL.. too much homebrew makes me think too much and ramble :mug:

Maybe all the BS talk with Clara and the doctor not being her boyfriend makes her obsessed with him later on in her life and she knew where he was and where to get the clockwork robot?

That sounds similar to a theory I heard on Monday: somehow, all the different Claras throughout history (after the events of The Name of the Doctor) are getting mashed together in some sort of afterlife after they die. Since all of them are connected to the Doctor in some way, the resulting being is obsessed with him.

I've just got to say, my favorite line from the whole first episode with Capaldi:

"Don't look at that mirror - it's furious!"

I liked this one "I'm Scottish. I've gone Scottish. Oh no, that's good. I'm Scottish. I can complain about things.".. but couldn't find the one he referenced the 4th doctor scarf as hideous.
We also don't know what his outfit will be yet, do we?

We also don't know what his outfit will be yet, do we?

His rant about his eyebrows was good too :D I think the outfit he was wearing in the final scenes of the episode is supposed to be his main outfit; it certainly matches the publicity photos they put out after Capaldi said he'd chosen his costume.

"They're independently cross! They want to secede and form the independent state of Eyebrows!"

did anyone get a The Girl in the Fireplace vibe off this last episode? time line matches up perfectly! :MUG:

VIBE? heck they practically threw it in our faces when he went "the Marie Antionette sister ship of the Madame de Pompadour... I'm missing something what am I missing.. moving on"

The outfit was one the first things that leaked out as promotion for the new doctor. It was known before the episode air'd.

Like this new direction with a more stern doctor but still able to work in humor.

And that's not fair because he would be the only doctor not to show us how he picked it out and under what conditions!

Edit: forgot we didn't get to see the 9th's but that's understandable :)

That sounds similar to a theory I heard on Monday: somehow, all the different Claras throughout history (after the events of The Name of the Doctor) are getting mashed together in some sort of afterlife after they die. Since all of them are connected to the Doctor in some way, the resulting being is obsessed with him.

I had a brainwave earlier: In Deep Breath, the Doctor theorizes that he was trying to tell himself something by regenerating with this face. We know the face is from Pompeii, where he had to set off the volcano and wipe out a city full of people to save the planet from lava monsters.

Maybe he was trying to tell himself that in order to save Gallifrey, he'll have to kill innocent people again. Or maybe just one innocent person; there is that rumour that this Christmas is Clara's last episode....

His rant about his eyebrows was good too :D I think the outfit he was wearing in the final scenes of the episode is supposed to be his main outfit; it certainly matches the publicity photos they put out after Capaldi said he'd chosen his costume.

"They're independently cross! They want to secede and form the independent state of Eyebrows!"

Particularly relevant as (for those who maybe aren't aware) Scotland votes in a referendum on 18 September as to whether to leave the UK and become an independent country. The reference to his eyebrows definitely being Scottish because of their desire to form an I dependant state was pure satire! Maybe Peter misses being in The Thick Of It!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A friend posted this on my Facebook today.. I haven't been able to confirm the accuracy... Thoughts?

1409328841673.jpg

Particularly relevant as (for those who maybe aren't aware) Scotland votes in a referendum on 18 September as to whether to leave the UK and become an independent country. The reference to his eyebrows definitely being Scottish because of their desire to form an I dependant state was pure satire! Maybe Peter misses being in The Thick Of It!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not much of a referendum though, with only two eyebrows eligible to vote. It will be either a landslide or a stalemate!

A friend posted this on my Facebook today.. I haven't been able to confirm the accuracy... Thoughts?

Thoughts would be that it's plausible. The garden in the Girl Who Waited was based off a real place so I'm guessing that's what's actually going on. Not that the woman is alternate universe Amy, but who knows.

Okay, 8.2 was VERY VERY good. Yes, I know it's basically "Inner Space", but whatever.. it was a first for DW (as far as I know), and who knows what sort of long-term damage will be done to the Daleks..

I like that Rusty could very easily become a sort of Dexter figure, stalking and killing his fellow Daleks while blending in amongst them. I wonder if we'll see him again?

Has anyone else read the new War Doctor novel, "Engines of War"? It's pretty good, I'm about halfway through it. Plenty of Daleks :)

Robots of Sherwood.. halfway through and my stomach hurts from laughing so much...

Yes, it was one of "those" episodes! The Dr. seems out of sorts. He was wishy washy, and let himself be bossed around by his companion all episode long.

Not a bad episode, but I'm still waiting for his real personality to show up.

And I enjoyed watching Clara prance around in that hot dress!

I have to say, I was siding with the Doctor on this episode and mostly wanted to smack Robin Hood upside the head :D

"Listen"

Let me tell you about scared. Your heart is beating so hard, I can feel it through your hands. There is so much blood and oxygen pumping through your brain, it’s like rocket fuel.

Right now you could run faster, and you could fight harder and jump higher than ever in your life, and you are so alert it’s like you can slow down time.

What’s wrong with scared? Scared is a superpower; it’s your superpower.

There is danger in this room, and guess what? It’s you. Do you feel it?

Wow.

Some excellent spooky moments and learning-about-the-Doctor moments, but I can't help but feel a little bit let down by Listen. I'm STOKED about the bank heist episode coming up, though; I love a good heist story :D

Well I'm gonna be checking under my bed again lol. One issue I have with this ep. The 2 timelords didn't notice a big blue box in the barn? Other then that loved it.

Well I'm gonna be checking under my bed again lol. One issue I have with this ep. The 2 timelords didn't notice a big blue box in the barn? Other then that loved it.

Bear in mind that not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords.. and the box seemed to be in a cellar part of the barn..

But hey, time travel is believable, right? ;)

Back