Oops... Fell off boil temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatbelt123

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the pros (you guys) would have done...

I was brewing a partial mash batch of AHS Double Chocolate Stout last night (while juggling dinner time, baby, etc) and the timer on my turkey frier stopped the gas at some point during my scheduled 60 minute boil. I wasn't sure how long it was off. But it took me about 5 minutes to get it back to boil. At the time I decided to add 15 minutes to the boil. I adjusted the cocoa addition timing to coincide with the new schedule.

In the end I had to add about 3/4 gallon to get to the target volume and ended up with a 1.059 gravity (a bit higher than the 1.056 target).

What are the possible consequences of this goof?

Bonus question... Ever brew this AHS kit, how was it?

Thanks!

Gravity is pretty close. As long as you filtered out the chlorine from the water or used un-chlorinated I would think you'd be fine.

B

Additional boil time will increase the IBUs, but not a huge amount. As long as you haven't added flavor or aroma hops, the overall effect won't be much.

david_42 said:
Additional boil time will increase the IBUs, but not a huge amount. As long as you haven't added flavor or aroma hops, the overall effect won't be much.

Interesting. It did have hops and I thought it tasted a bit too sharp for this style of stout. That's probably because of the extra boil time. Definitely dark! I'll post pics later.

Thanks!

Here's what the wort looked like... black as night!

stout 2.jpg

stout 1.jpg

it all sounds fine to me. any taste difference right now can be ignored as green. i wouldn't worry about it at all

What kh54s10 said. I have the same mini-mash kit in a fermenter now, and I’d be more than happy to taste compare the two and critique.

I think you'll be good. Enjoy that Double Chocolate Stout! I brewed up the partial mash back in July and am still enjoying it now - down to about 6 bottles. Make sure you give it plenty of time to condition in the bottle - this one really gets much better as it ages.

Back