NB Sierra Madre Kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nymtber

Reaction score
I brewed this kit back in early august after I finished my Fermentation chamber. It has been in bottle a week and a half now, I tried one Sunday that tasted overly sweet, I don't think carbonation was allowed enough time...

I am drinking my second now, and WOW is it coming along very nicely. Sweetness is subsiding (pretty sure it was residual priming sugar), The cascade hops, which I like quite a bit, really SHINE just like they do in SN pale ale. Bitterness is actually coming through decent, its not a bitter beer, but there is SOME there. Head is very thin still, but that takes 2-3 weeks from my 3 prior batches of beer.

I have to deliver some to my dad this weekend, and I try to take 2 cold ones with me so we can taste it together. A cool beer after a day at the DEC days (big show put on by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation) will taste really good, for sure!

I have my 3rd batch of American Wheat to bottle this weekend, and a batch of Nukey Brown Ale to get brewed. Then I have to decide what to brew next. Dad has been saving me bottles, and I better keep him supplied :)

NB Sierra Madre is a very good kit. That one did not last long in my house.

The minimum time you want to go from bottling to drinking is three weeks at room temps. If you open one early you are wasting a good beer. Patients is a virtue!:tank:

I find they are perfectly drinkable at 2 weeks. 3 weeks is better of course, but the only way to WASTE good beer is to dump it. I consumed it, therefore, no waste :) When I bottle 2 cases of beer, I don't mind drinking 3-4 while they are green. It helps my palate, quite honestly.

Now, the St Paul Porter needed 4 weeks in bottle to come around, does that mean I didnt drink any before 4 weeks? NO WAY! It was just a bit bitter till 4 weeks passed... still great beer.

I only drink a few the first few weeks. After 3-4 weeks in bottle, every last drop is fair game :) I gotta brew something for xmas eve at my girlfriends parent's house. Not sure what yet...

Back