Crab Apple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboyo

Reaction score
First time home brewing for me - I have a large grape wine, blackberries and elderberries in abundance to make into wine. After some research I've got the process and equipment for these. However a neighbour came out of left field and gave me 25kgs of crab apples the other day. I've read all sorts of contradictory advice on turning these into wine - my question is whether I can use my wine press to get the juice for fermentation (as I would to make wine from grapes) or whether I follow all the advice which describes creating a must from the crushed crabs instead? I've read all kinds of stuff regarding not crushing the pips and removing the stalks etc and just wanted to make sure that if I proceeded with the wine press I wouldn't end up creating a poisonous brew!

First time home brewing for me - I have a large grape wine, blackberries and elderberries in abundance to make into wine. After some research I've got the process and equipment for these. However a neighbour came out of left field and gave me 25kgs of crab apples the other day. I've read all sorts of contradictory advice on turning these into wine - my question is whether I can use my wine press to get the juice for fermentation (as I would to make wine from grapes) or whether I follow all the advice which describes creating a must from the crushed crabs instead? I've read all kinds of stuff regarding not crushing the pips and removing the stalks etc and just wanted to make sure that if I proceeded with the wine press I wouldn't end up creating a poisonous brew!

Sure, you can use your wine press! You don't want to crush the seeds, but I don't think you will in a wine press anyway.

I have my recipe posted, so you can see how I do it without a press. But.........if I had a press available, I'd sure do it! I used 83 pounds of crabapples last year to make 15 gallons of wine! It would have been much easier to core them, freeze them (so they are nice and mushy- I don't have a crusher, either), and ferment for a few days and then press them.

Back