Strawberry or Blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheels4

Reaction score
I have brewed a Strawberry Blonde a few times and is comes out great. I add 4 lbs. of fresh frozen strawberries to the secondary. Im thinking about doing a Blueberry this time. I love Blue Points Blueberry Ale and was wondering how many lbs. of berries to use? Do blueberries give as much or less flavor then strawberries? If anyone has made this before help would be appreciated. If not I will post results incase anyone else is looking to do the same. I dont want to use extract as it is not the same.

Would you mind posting a recipe? The quantity of fruit is gonna depend on the base beer. In my experience blueberries have a more assertive flavor than strawberries in beer but again, it all depends.

The recipe is
9lbs. 2 row
1lb. crystal 20
1lb. vienna
5 oz. flaked wheat

.5oz. cascade 60
.5oz. cascade 30
.5oz. cascade 15
.5oz. cascade 10
1 oz. tettenger 2

us-05 yeast

OG was 1.057

In my experience, I need more blueberries for the same effect as I would strawberries. For a 5 gallon batch, I would use 10# of strawberries; for blueberries, I would use close to 15#.

In my experience, I need more blueberries for the same effect as I would strawberries. For a 5 gallon batch, I would use 10# of strawberries; for blueberries, I would use close to 15#.

Thank You that points me in the right direction.

how are you using the strawberry/blueberry in your brewing session? fresh, frozen, whole, puree, in the secondary, primary fermenter?

I'd use fresh blueberries, first pasturized 170* for 15-20 minutes then puree in a food processor or blender.

IMHO 10 pounds of blueberries would go a long way in the secondary. keep tasting the brew until desire level is met. then use gelatin for finings and crash cool to drop out the particles before transfering to keg or bottling bucket

how are you using the strawberry/blueberry in your brewing session? fresh, frozen, whole, puree, in the secondary, primary fermenter?

I'd use fresh blueberries, first pasturized 170* for 15-20 minutes then puree in a food processor or blender.

IMHO 10 pounds of blueberries would go a long way in the secondary. keep tasting the brew until desire level is met. then use gelatin for finings and crash cool to drop out the particles before transfering to keg or bottling bucket

I usually use fresh frozen. I just thaw them out put them in a bag and leave in secondary for 7-10 days. If I puree should I put in a bag?

I have brewed a Strawberry Blonde a few times and is comes out great. I add 4 lbs. of fresh frozen strawberries to the secondary. Im thinking about doing a Blueberry this time. I love Blue Points Blueberry Ale and was wondering how many lbs. of berries to use? Do blueberries give as much or less flavor then strawberries? If anyone has made this before help would be appreciated. If not I will post results incase anyone else is looking to do the same. I dont want to use extract as it is not the same.

Blueberry hands down! I would use 3lbs per gallon. so 15lbs for a 5 gallon batch.

never understood the fruit beer thing, gotta try some commercial examples to see what the appeal is.

I picked up 9 lbs. of blueberries today (those things are expensive $30) will add them on Tuesday. They were more then the rest of the ingredients ....... sure hope it turns out good. If not well it is %6.5 ABV so after a few who will know the difference.

Back