Commercial Brewing Heat Sources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinertime

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what type of heat sources commercial breweries use? I can see benefits to both gas/propane and electric. I also wonder if smaller craft brewers can use either while the bigger boys always use one kind.

Anyone know?

Does anyone have any idea what type of heat sources commercial breweries use? I can see benefits to both gas/propane and electric. I also wonder if smaller craft brewers can use either while the bigger boys always use one kind.

Anyone know?

Most breweries use steam. Some use direct fire from natural gas or propane. I can't think of any off hand that use electric elements.

Hmm steam hadn't even thought of that but it makes sense on an industrial scale. Are the boil kettles jacketed or is it a direct infusion of steam into the wort?

Hmm steam hadn't even thought of that but it makes sense on an industrial scale. Are the boil kettles jacketed or is it a direct infusion of steam into the wort?

Steam jacket. It cuts down on the amount of kettle caramelizing that you would get from a direct fire kettle.

Who makes a small steam system? Or would one of those commecial kitchen steam kettles work?

Back