Acid & maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-medic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has tried adding some sort of Acid to get that bite (much like a cold Pepsi) and maltodextrin for some head.

I havent played with this yet, but I think I might next batch.

I use Gnome soda, used table sugar (maybe next ill use dextrose), keg force carb and counter pressure bottle at 35 psi, but I dont seem to get the results i am looking for. Tastes great, but I dont get that pop when i crack open the bottle

Different acids have different taste profiles.
If you want to make a cola, use phosphoric acid.
If you want to make lemon lime, use citric acid.
If you want to make green apple, use malic acid.

If you are looking for body without additional sweetness, maltodextrin is probably your best bet.

I've used some acids for 'bite', especially lemon juice in ginger ale.

Maltodextrin works great for body/mouthfeel. It's a "thickener". My son overused some in a root beer batch once, and he made root beer Jell-O. Which is not nearly as tasty as it sounds! ;)

I used to be the cellarmaster at Pyramid Ales. In the summer time it was like a swamp in that building and I'd make carbonated lemonade in the cooler up front for the worker bees. 2 cups sugar and 2 cups lemon juice per gallon with 1/4 cup citric acid thrown in to make sure everyone got their fair share of their teeth rotting out. I'd make 15 gallons at a shot in a Sankey keg and force carbonate with a sintered stainless stone. Good stuff. I had to make lemonade every day. Had it on tap by the front door with the keg in the beer cooler.

I love carb'd lemonade. Makes a great mixer for hard drinks and is delicious on it's own. Less sugar than soda too. I'm a bit lazy tho, just countrytime from the can into a 5 gal corny, shake it up real good, top off and put it under pressure. I usually leave it at serving pressure 10-13psi for two days before tapping it. You could quick carb too, but I'm rarely in a hurry with this stuff.

Back