Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much brine?

About two ounces in two gallons, if I remember correctly. Took it a couple of days to get going.

Here are a few shots of it from last night. Smells awesome.

20150805_204443.jpg

20150805_204449.jpg

20150805_204454.jpg

Blueberry Brettomorphosis. This is a Brett (B Trois -- yes, I know this is not actually brett) and Lacto partigyle with 12 oz. of unpasteurized blueberries after about 2 days in the fermenter. Photo is unedited.

Decided not to mash up the blueberries and threw then in whole? Is that what others recommend?

It looks gorgeous btw. And an amazing pellicle for being just 2 days old.

Brewed a sour on Sunday and pitched roeselare for primary fermentation. It's hard to tell with the minimum headspace I have, but i think ive got a small pellicle formed already.

Could one have formed in only 4 days time?

Brewed a sour on Sunday and pitched roeselare for primary fermentation. It's hard to tell with the minimum headspace I have, but i think ive got a small pellicle formed already.

Could one have formed in only 4 days time?

Sure. Has your krausen already settled? I'm assuming the sacc strain has done its work?

I had one form on a saison within 16 hours, but it got blown to bits once the saison yeast went to work.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6891671&postcount=1

Decided not to mash up the blueberries and threw then in whole? Is that what others recommend?

It looks gorgeous btw. And an amazing pellicle for being just 2 days old.

Thanks, Zippox. Honestly, this is my first sour experimemt so I may or may not be using the recommended method. But I should clarify about the beer itself.
A friend and I brewed a 5 gal batch of pale ale each (slightly different recipes) and pulled second running of the wort from each batch, then combined. It fermented for 6 weeks on Brett B (WLP 644). After the first 6 weeks, we added the lacto brevis and blueberries. That probably why the pellicle looks as developed as it does.
It has now been about 6 additional weeks since pitching the berries and lacto. We'll bottle within the week. I'm pretty stoked for this stuff!

Brett B and Brett C co-pitch APA Fermenting for about 4 Months. Both smell amazing. Waiting is the hardest part.

Brett B.jpg

Brett B 2.jpg

Brett C 2.jpg

Brett C.jpg

Can I play? Its tiny, but i still think a pellicle is there (correct me if i am wrong). These are (mostly) Almanac dregs before pitching. Not sure if i should have waited longer, but I waited 8 days before pitching.

20245521210_3094829490_b.jpg

Yes... that was not what I wanted.

Maybe it will be a "good" bug and this will be drinkable, but at this point, I feel like I wasted about $30 in juice.

*EDIT* Just looked at the first post here, seems I sorta broke the rules. My bad, all apologies.

Yes... that was not what I wanted.

Maybe it will be a "good" bug and this will be drinkable, but at this point, I feel like I wasted about $30 in juice.

*EDIT* Just looked at the first post here, seems I sorta broke the rules. My bad, all apologies.

What's in there?

Pardons, I had thought I put that in the first post - it's black-cherry Apfelwein.

This is the Gueuze/Lambic recipe from CJOHB. Sour mashed with some grain for 2 days at 120 deg then boiled. Pitched the WLP635 Brett/Lambic mix back in April. Just tasted it and it's turning out great. Has a sweet sour apple flavor that is pretty damn good. I'd like to let it sit for longer but I plan on racking half on Raspberries and keeping half this way around the end of this month then bottling just before Christmas time.

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere dregs in an ale inspired by the Jolly Pumpkin brew strong episode.

View attachment 296856
View attachment 296857

Looks like dry flour or cornmeal almost floating on the surface.

Bagged up the fermentation? Novel idea to reduce oxygen through the sides and top? Or to save the fermenter from exclusive wild fermentations?

A bunch of 5 yr old dregs I'm restarting. Do old bugs make better bugs? We will find out in a few years! They took about a month to put off this growth. Nothing special yet but a KY barrel is begging for a big turbid mash to chew on.

View attachment 1440208101824.jpg

I had 5G of a pale in a bucket for 5 weeks, and dry hopped 3oz from my plants for about a week. There was a pellicle / hop mess that I scooped out, and the pellicle grew back in a day or two. I racked out from under it to bottle as I thought it was lacto, figuring I would carb then fridge them and drink them first as I didn't really want sour pale.

But now, after looking at a million posts and pellicles I think it might have been a wild yeast? I've got a couple questions:

-I've seen pictures that look exactly like mine (didn't take a pic, but this is same pattern, same color, same intensity), I've included one here. I copied another one from this thread, I hope it's OK. Could a lacto or brett or wild yeast create the same kind of pellicle?

-If I picked up a wild yeast from the hops, how likely is it that it's Brett? Are all wild yeasts Brett?

-Brett or wild yeast could possible ferment it down farther (it was finished), but could lacto take it farther?

Thanks!
brett_zpsjycypere.jpg

Lacto wont grow in presence of hops or high ibus. Most wild yeasts are Brett of some sort. Could be pedio but don't think that produces a pellicle. It's wild & the Brett will def chew it down in FG. Wait & take hydro reading from time to time to make sure its stable. Could take a while...

Check the carb after two weeks and if it's moderate, like say, 2.5 volumes? Then fridge it in the upper 30's and drink often. Treat it like homebrew soda with natural yeast.

You could also dump all the bottles back in a fermenter and then make your first infected brew grow up. Don't worry about oxygenation, since it will continue to ferment or re-infection, as it already is infected. I would do this latter move. Pale ales make a great sour or wild brew.

Latest posts

Back