Looking for a Belgian Double/Triple Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewski459

Reaction score
Next batch will probably be a double or triple, so I'm looking to get some good ideas and would love to see some recipies that people have had good success with in the past.

Get a copy of the book "Brewing Classic Styles" Awesome book! It has an award wining recipe for every style of beer. I've done both the triple and dubbel recipes out of this book. The dubble is top notch. I'm still waiting to taste the trippel

drew,

I now have a Belgian Triple in my secondary vessel. Waiting to bottle in a week an a half. Check out:

http://northernbrewer.com/

That is the triple I'm brewing

NRS

Planned: Dunkelweizen, Bavarian Hefeweizen
Brewing: Belgian Triple
Bottled: Brown Ale, Holiday Ale, Raspberry Wheat, Espresso Porter

My second batch of Midwest Triple is in primary right now. First time turned out great.

A Tripel is a very simple beer, it goes something like this:
9lbs of Extra Light DME
2lbs of Sugar
a few OZ of Saaz Hops maybe 15-25 IBUs

Dubbels aren't too bad either:
6lbs of Extra Light DME
2lbs of DARK Candi Sugar (this is where you get your color)
0.5lbs of Caramunich Malt (steeped)
0.5lbs of Special B Malt (steeped)
a few OZ of Saaz Hops maybe 15-25 IBUs

For either you need to use a high attenuating Belgian style yeast to get it to finish nice and dry.

Anyone feel free to correct these, I am working off the top of my head here.

I too brewed a tripel extract about 3 mns ago as my very first brew.
After about a month of tasting one here and there and worrying about some strong flavours I tasted it yesterday in a proper glass....a wonderful symphony for my mouth. Only complaint is lack of head and lower carbonation than I would like.

And what do you know, right on time as it did say to mature them for at least 3 mns (3-6mns, some say longer of course).

Used this recipe from byo.com
http://***********/component/resource/article/1773-classic-belgian-tripel
Made my own candi sugar which was relatively easy.
Used safbrew 33 yeast. Added orange peel.

The last 'Triple' I made (I use that term loosely), which received a boatload of compliments, was this:
3.3lbs Muntons liquid extra light malt
1.6kg John Bull Amber liquid malt extract
1.6kg John Bull Wheat Syrup liquid malt extract
1lbs 40L Briess Crystal Malt
1lbs 20L Briess Crystal Malt
1lbs Briess Dextrine Malt
2oz Sterling pellet hops 6.0%AA
1oz Simcoe pellet hops 11.9%AA
1 vial Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530

Look in the latest issue of BYO. Jamail's Strict Observance Tripel, the same one he published in the Brewing Classic Styles, is in there. Super simple. Mine is still fermenting away after 11 days.

I just racked the following onto some Brett for added funk. It's a Black Diamond Brewing Winter Ale clone from BrewYourOwn.

6.6# amber LME
1# dark candy sugar (the recipe called for 1.25#)
1# special B malt
.5# aromatic malt
.5# caravienna
.25# chocolate malt

.5oz Magnum @ 75 minutes
.25oz Hallertauer @ 10 minutes
.25oz Tettnanger @ 10 minutes

I used wyeast 3787.

The book said I'd get an OG of 1.067, I got 1.060 for whatever reason. IBUs are 33.6. SG 1.014, but I expect mine to become much lower thanks to the Brett L I racked onto.

Here is the recipe I have for Avery's "The Reverend"...

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/docs/TheReverend.pdf
and...
http://www.averybrewing.com/
and...
http://www.averybrewing.com/index2.html

...for which I suspect is the same/similar for "Salvation" except scaled down in the specialty grains department, but who knows... I guess it's an extract/steeping recipe, although it also calls for a sparging of the specialty grains after steeping.

It also calls for Belgian Candi Sugar. I see Randy Mosher (Radical Brewing)now says the Belgian Candi is a waste of money as plain white or beet sugar (boiled to crystalize) will have the same effects. But the Salvation label itself from Avery indicates they still use it.

I discovered Avery beers in a place called "Mellow Mushroom" here on the sandbar and had a "The Rev" since they were out of my first choice that day, Salvation. Great pizza too.

I was impressed w/TR. I had never tried a Belgian b4. Up to then I was happy when I get up to Atlanta every few months and loaded up at Tower Liquors with Dogfish and Rogue, etc.

"Tasted"? Past tense? You mean it's gone ALREADY!?! ;)

LOL. All except one 22 ouncer, which I am saving for my assistant brewer who found out she was pregnant (not mine) the weekend before we brewed it.

It also calls for Belgian Candi Sugar. I see Randy Mosher (Radical Brewing)now says the Belgian Candi is a waste of money as plain white or beet sugar (boiled to crystalize) will have the same effects. But the Salvation label itself from Avery indicates they still use it.

Plain white or beet sugar that has been crystalized by boiling, is basically what candi sugar is. I don't mind buying it, since it takes an extra step and plenty of time out of my brew day. But if you're looking to have 100% control over the beer's outcome, it can be well worth the effort, since you can control the degree of carmalization of the sugars.

:mug:

Back