Just had to share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
As I was making dinner last night, I had a realization that made me proud to a man.

I was cooking some venison tenderloin from a doe that I harvested this weekend along with some veggies from the garden drinking a homebrew.

I realized that not one item was store brought and that I had made/harvested everything myself. It just made me proud that I was able to supplement everything myself during the age where it is so much easier to go through a drive through or purchase items at a store, me being as guitly as the next guy.

Just thought I share my proud moment.....:mug:

Way to go man!!! I love it when we do that. Middle of the summer its not uncommon for us to have a similar meal, and even more common for us to have a a meal completely locally grown with Farmer's Market local produced veggies and meats...
Its good to eat local!

Homebrewing has gotten more into this stuff. If I use any fruit, honey or anything in my beer I'm running to the local produce market on Saturdays to pick it up.

I am debating on harvesting wild yeast too, just for amusement.

Nothing like living like our forefathers:D I agree that there is just something about making "it" ourselves.

Jeeze
I almost feel like I should be ashamed....cutting corners such as buying the hops and malted grains...I withdrawl my proud moment :ban:

In my defense, it was Ed Worts Haus Ale.....and nowhere does he say to use home grown hops and home grown malted barley in his recipe....there I said it.

Sorry Ed to bring you into this but I'm fighting a losing battle :D

Bet you didn't make your own fermenter either :D
Sorry to pile on. Seriously, it's a great feeling to be a little more self sufficient. I'm a beekeeper so I have a ready source for my own honey.
We buy 50 lb bags of wheat and grind our own flour too.

Think I'll put a couple ales in the fridge :rockin:

Ahhh...finally some love :mug:

Bee Keeper, now thats awesome. Make any meads?

This is my second brewing life. I brewed quite a bit until about 15 years ago when the kids starting coming along. My youngest is now almost 6 and I got bitten by the brewing bug again so here I am!

To answer your question: I brewed mead one time (in my former life). It was a historical recipe that used honey, water, yeast, and pollen for a protein source for the yeast. It turned out.....okay I guess. I could drink it but that's about all I'll say for it. LOML hated it. Actually one of the best beers that I've made, again in my former life, was one which I primed with honey. I'm definitely going to do that again. I'm not sure it affected the taste all that much but it's satisfying to know that it was MY honey!

Reminds me of when I was young & we had "wild game parties". Everything served had to be caught,shot,grown &/or homemade. I even served my home made red wines with it. That was a great felling I totally get op. Now,we serve fresh caught fish,for example,with flea market local veggies,mushrooms,etc & my home brewed ales. The Cooper's English bitter & my IPA go well with pit bbq. A red ale goes great with ribs. I just love serving everything fresh on such occasions. Just gotta replace my French loaf pans that got ruined in a flood a few years ago. Hard to find item around here anymore. That venison sounds great,btw.

Back