carbonating beer in PET bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a carbonator cap and I was wondering if any one had any advice on using one. Once the beer is fully carbonated can you chill it and put a regular soda cap on it? Also how long will the beer stay fresh in a PET bottle?

I'm very new to this and I was wondering if it will carbonate in a regular PET bottle using priming sugar?

(No thread hijack intended :D, no point in making a new thread :eek:)

I'm thinking about picking up a carbonator cap and I was wondering if any one had any advice on using one. Once the beer is fully carbonated can you chill it and put a regular soda cap on it? Also how long will the beer stay fresh in a PET bottle?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/homemade-carbonator-cap-124602/
You can make 4 of these for the price of a carbonator cap.
If the bottle is chilled and you let t set a bit, you can change out the cap.

I'm very new to this and I was wondering if it will carbonate in a regular PET bottle using priming sugar?

Carbonate PET bottles jsut like you would a glass bottle.

as long as its unopened it will last forever. If opened it is jut like having a growler and will last about 2 days b4 going flat.

Yup. Using a carbonator cap is just like having a keg... until it's opened. However, you can also open it up, pour half of it out, squeeze the air out, and top off with CO2 pressure to keep it fresh. You can't do that with a growler or glass bottle.

I have a friend who bottles in 2 liter club soda bottles with great results.

After using a carbonation calculator, he primes them with dry white cane sugar (a tablespoon plus a little more is the usual amount), then he fills with beer up to about 1.5 inches from the top. Then he squeezes the sides to make the beer come up just to the lip and screws on the cap - this eliminates all air and gives the bottle room to handle the carbonation pressure. Give them a shake to dissolve the sugar, then let them sit until they are as hard as a rock and they're good to go.

BeerFridge1.jpg

Yup. Using a carbonator cap is just like having a keg... until it's opened. However, you can also open it up, pour half of it out, squeeze the air out, and top off with CO2 pressure to keep it fresh. You can't do that with a growler or glass bottle.

Latest posts

Back