If you could share a pint with anyone, who would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
69Bronc said:
Probably my nephew. He would have been 21 last year. Never got the chance to share a couple of pints with him.

Respect

I was going to pick some people who had died that I think would be cool to have a beer with

1. Bob Marley
2. Jerry Garcia
3. Wild Bill Hickok
4. Bram Stoker
5. Sam Bellamy

In no particular order.

This thread is making me seriously teary-eyed!

I think if there were one historical figure to drink with, for me it would be Edward Abbey...this drink would have to occur around a fire in the high desert backcountry...

It would also be cool to drink with Charlie Papazian...

I would have to say my grandfather in my family but the nerd in me also says tolkien

My dad is first. He'd love my beers.

But I would love to go back and chew the fat over a few beers with Merian C. Cooper. In my opinion he is one of, if not the world's most interesting man.

bosco

Well, if I'm going to sit and have a beer with them I'd like to talk about beer. Tasty McDole seems like he'd be a lot of fun and full of knowledge.

Have you watched the series Oz and James Drink to Britain? It's a great series. James May and Oz Clark on a beer wine and spirits drinking trip through England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

I have all the episodes from Youtube linked here.

They even try homebrewing.

Yes! Every homebrewer or person that appreciates good beer needs to watch this...

My Great Grandfather, my Dad admits he made him into the man he is, and my father made me into the man I am. So I want to see who started it.

If it had to be a female celebrity it would be Charlotte Wessels. She comes across like someone who would be fun to drink with, who is not afraid to say what she thinks and well I am a sucker for a Dutch redhead( even if it is fake color)

My father. I've only seen him twice in the last 25 years. I'm hoping to see him before the year is over and have a shot and a pint or two with him...

Oh man, that's tough. Lots of dead people (Mom, Grandparents). Those are easy; I'd trade a talk with them for anything in the world.

Others:
Beryl Markham
Albert Einstein
Sir Ernest Shackleton
Mark Twain
John Lennon
Thomas Hardy
Victor Hugo
Meryl Streep

My dad
Jimi Hendrix
George Carlin
Our founding fathers
Nichola Tesla
Jim Morrison
And since I'm from Key West Shel Sylverstein or I'd sit at Sloppy Joes drinking pints with Hemingway, both legends and well known party animals.

My Opa! Loved good beer, Germany, and always wanted to go to Bavaria, but never had the chance!
Houdini
Robert Kurson
Masaaki Hatsumi
Steven King
Dick Marcinco
Saint Boniface
Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Just to name a few!

my dad. still alive, but stopped drinking the year before i started brewing. a wise, good, down-to-earth man. made me who i am, and i'd like to drink a toast to him with him

Wow, I was going to go to the classic, "your mom" but everyone's posts are way to mature and touching (minus toby keith).
hmm... I guess my Dad. He's still alive, but is a strict teetotaler. In a different life.

Same story here. It really bums me out that I can share so much with my dad, but not this. I hear other people talk about having a beer with their dads and I hate to know it's impossible for me.

My dad (passed after a long bout with cancer at age 65) and my two brothers (they're alive). Four of us just sit down and shoot the breeze over a few beers on Dad's back patio one nice summer evening.

Runners up - Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Jr. That probably wouldn't end with just one beer!

I love this community. I really appreciate all the honest answers about family.

On that note, I'd love to have an honest pint with both my parents (still alive, knock on wood) and talk about the finer points of life. This thread has inspired me to keep in touch better.

If I had to pick a historical figure I'd probably geek out and pick J.S. Bach or anyone who was held as a slave during the first ~300 years of our existence as a nation.

Dan said:
Hank Williams Jr.
What, Hank3 doesn't do it for you? ;)
trumpetbeard said:
If I had to pick a historical figure I'd probably geek out and pick J.S. Bach or anyone who was held as a slave during the first ~300 years of our existence as a nation.

Pretty darn cool. Bach would definitely be more interesting than a pint with Beethoven ;)

The Third? Hmm.. Maybe but probably not. I think we'd end up drinking more than just beer.

The president....I hear he brews. ;)

Seriously though I'd love to share my beer with both my late Father who died 7 years ago, shortly before I started brewing, and my brother who died 16 years before (he was 16 years older than me), and his death was the reason I didn't start brewing back then.

16 years ago, before he was taken from cancer he and I were looking at starting what would have been the 3rd Micro Brewery to open in Metro Detroit. He was a commercial developer, and was working on a major development that would have included a Spanish Restaurant and a Micro Brewery. At that time I was reading as much as I could about brewing, and was going to start homebrewing.

In fact a couple days before Christmas I was heading out to try to find what was then the only homebrewshop in the area, which was in a hardware store (It would later become Cap and Cork for any Metro Detroiters reading this,) to buy my starter kit. I couldn't find the place (before gps and cellphones lol) and planned to go try to find it again while I was off the week between Christmas and New Years.....

Two days later, Christmas Eve morning, I got a call from my sister in law that he was dying. I got there just after he drew his last breath....and I never made it to the brewshop until 8 years later, the day after Christmas, about a month after my dad died....

So yeah, I'd really like to share my beers with them.

Way to ruin my night JERK! Seriously though that is really sad and I am sorry to hear that. I hope that you will in fact get the chance to have those beers way down the road in a far better place then this. (not cracking on Detroit by the way;). GO WINGS!!!) Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to embrace my wife and kids that much more. I guess I should probably have that beer with my dad now that I started brewing.

why, so you could hear him ***** all night about how Edison abused him and stole his inventions? :D

Ok, I'm done for the night

Meh, Tesla's mind far exceeded Edison's. That's what having a beer would be about (although, I'm sure Tesla would just criticize me the entire time). Edison was a good inventor and had a lot of applied experience but didn't have the imagination and intellect that Tesla did.

mrgstiffler said:
Meh, Tesla's mind far exceeded Edison's. That's what having a beer would be about (although, I'm sure Tesla would just criticize me the entire time). Edison was a good inventor and had a lot of applied experience but didn't have the imagination and intellect that Tesla did.

Oh absolutely. Edison was a tyrant and a sweatshop owner who routinely stole credit for the inventions of his workers, Tesla among these. That's why he would be bitching ;) At least he got credit for alternating current.

Can't believe nobody's said this yet. I'm an atheist but my pick would be Jesus. Then I could settle that matter once and for all! ;) If there was no such person, Mohammed would be interesting too. And how could I forget Siddhartha?! Possibly more interesting than even Jesus. There's just too many to list. Hell, I'll arrange people into categories and just just say these are...

My 3 spiritual picks:
Jesus
Siddhartha
Mohammed
...and I'm going to have to sneak Timothy Leary and maybe even Alexander Shulgin into this category!
And Lucifer. Why not? There's two sides to every story, no? :D

Subsailor said:
1. Leonardo DaVinci
My science/knowledge picks would include this guy... surprised only one person picked this obvious choice.

My 3 science/knowledge picks:
Leonardo da Vinci
Isaac Newton
Richard Feynman

My 3 arts/culture picks:
(Da Vinci again!)
Ernest Hemingway
Vincent van Gogh
Salvador Dali

My 3 thinker picks:
Plato
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sigmund Freud

My 3 "huge balls" picks
Julius Caesar (and maybe Vercingetorix, for a WAY more intense version of Obama's Gates/Crowley "beer summit")
Genghis Khan
Joan of Arc

My 3 business picks:
Cosimo di Medici
Bill Gates
Warren Buffett

And a few "celebrity" picks for good measure:
Harry Houdini
Freddie Mercury
Maynard James Keenan
Barack Obama (DID YOU KNOW HE BREWS?!?!)

I know some of these contain more than 3 people. If you find yourself caring a bit too much about it, then YOUR list probably contains Hitler. If not, it should. Hell, I'll include him in my list. Seeing how devastated he was when the Penguins lost the first round to the Flyers, he'd definitely be an interesting drinking "buddy".

John McEnroe, just because that could get out of control quickly.

After all the usual ones, of course.

bottlebomber said:
I'll have to go for clinking glasses with the son of man ;)

emjay said:
Can't believe nobody's said this yet. I'm an atheist but my pick would be Jesus. Then I could settle that matter once and for all! ;)
Thought I didn't? ;)

I should have had you pegged for an MJK fan ;)

Back