What style guidelines is GF beer under?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpinator

Reaction score
I just bought Beersmith woot woot! Now, I need to make some GF recipes on it but I am really shooting in the dark when it comes to finding a style guideline for it. I will put specialty beer for now, but it still doesn't feel right. I think they need a "gluten free" style, comon now who's with me?

Forgive my ignorance of the gluten-free brewing process, but I would say that there is no special category (that I could find in Beersmith), it just goes in with the rest of the beers in the style category that the GF beer is (ex. Pale Ale & GF Pale Ale are both Pale Ales, if that makes sense).

Could you give an example of a recipe?

Looks like it's #23, Specialty Beer.

The category is intended for any type of beer, including the following techniques or ingredients:
  • Unusual techniques (e.g., steinbier, ice/eis beers)
  • Unusual fermentables (e.g., maple syrup, honey, molasses, sorghum

My link won't really help you with the Beersmith part of it (sorry) ... but as far as OG guidelines go, I think you go by what bsay said and plug it in for whatever style you're brewing.

My link won't really help you with the Beersmith part of it (sorry) ... but as far as OG guidelines go, I think you go by what bsay said and plug it in for whatever style you're brewing.

Beersmith goes off the BJCP 2008 guidelines, and they say "unusual fermentables including sorghum" which is what I use in my beers, and they are pretty unusual to say the least. :drunk:

It's just hard to go off of OG, because I could make a really dark beer with the same OG as a stout but it would have none of the characteristics of a true stout at all.

You'll want to also go off of color, IBUs and the other style information, not just OG.

Well obviously you would want to have all the other elements match the style ... the OG was just a "for instance", (which I should have included in my original post). :)

Back