Adding yeast at bottling time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearymore

Reaction score
When is it necessary to add yeast at bottling time? I have a dubbel that I will bottle after 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary. Should I add extra yeast and, if so, how much? My last brew was a Saison which I bottled after about a combined 4 weeks of primary and secondary and it seems under-carbonated after 4 weeks in the bottle. This hasn't been a problem before, but I don't want to ruin the dubbel.

When is it necessary to add yeast at bottling time? I have a dubbel that I will bottle after 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary. Should I add extra yeast and, if so, how much? My last brew was a Saison which I bottled after about a combined 4 weeks of primary and secondary and it seems under-carbonated after 4 weeks in the bottle. This hasn't been a problem before, but I don't want to ruin the dubbel.

Where are you storing that saison? How warm have they been? How much priming sugar did you use?

After only 5 weeks, you shouldn't have to worry about adding more yeast. The only time I would add yeast is if I was making a really big beer (1.090+) or if it had sat for a really really long time. Like a sour or something.

I'm curious about this also. I'm making an Orval clone and plan to pitch Brett during bottling. Any input?

I'm curious about this also. I'm making an Orval clone and plan to pitch Brett during bottling. Any input?

If you're pitching brett, you are just going to be in for a long wait. I definitely don't suggest against it, but give that brett time to work.

I sometimes add small lager starter with priming sugar, just in case. I don't think it is necessary - once I bottled a Bitter after almost 2 months of cold secondary without a starter and it is carbonated OK.

On the other hand many of the beers I got overcarbonated. Maybe it is a coincidence, but maybe the lager yeast have eaten the complex sugars that ale yeast left.

If you're pitching brett, you are just going to be in for a long wait. I definitely don't suggest against it, but give that brett time to work.
I think I'm going to bottle 1/2 without Brett and 1/2 with. I'm curious how the Brett changes the beer.

Thanks for the input.

Bump:

I also have a dubbel im going to need to bottle soon and it has been in carboy (in various stages) going on 4 months. To complicate matters im using a very odd yeast combo (saison and trapist). I figure i will bottle at about 5-6 months and im wondering if i will need to add yeast at bottling. My ABV is hovering around 8.5% and im hoping it will continue to drop down to below 1.010. Check my recipes pulldown for more info.

Back