Apricot from can?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Anted to add apricot to my wheat beer would I just add it from can to fermenter? And how much would I need for a 5gal.

Canned fruits are pasteurized, so you don't need to worry about infection.
Waiting until the majority of fermentation is done, or adding to secondary, preserves more fruit flavor and aroma.
All depends on what type of apricots you have, how big a can, how much apricot flavor/aroma you want. How about more details.

No need to worry about infection. Canned apricots are not only pasteurized, they are also flooded with sulfur dioxide to prevent soft rot.

Be careful with how much apricot you add to a beer. I had a 6-pack of Apricot-something from Pyramid a few years ago and could not finish it. In general, if you have not used a flavouring before, start with very little (1/4 to 1/2 can I would guess). You can always add more when it comes time to bottle.

I have made a lot of beers (200+), and have tried the fruit flavoring trick, and can say that for the most part fruit does not improve a beer. If anything it ruins a good beer. I've added fruit, I've added flavorings, I've added liqueurs, and I've added purees,and all have been ...... well fine for a few beers, but not 5 gallons worth.

Some fruit goes well with a big RIS, if not over done (cherry or raspberry), and I have found goes well with sour beers (although I've not made more than 3 gallons with fruit at one time).

Make what you feel you want to drink, but from my experience, the pursuit of a 'great' fruit beer is not worth it. There are not many on the commercial market; probably because they just don't work very well.

Calder said:
I have made a lot of beers (200+), and have tried the fruit flavoring trick, and can say that for the most part fruit does not improve a beer. If anything it ruins a good beer. I've added fruit, I've added flavorings, I've added liqueurs, and I've added purees,and all have been ...... well fine for a few beers, but not 5 gallons worth.

Some fruit goes well with a big RIS, if not over done (cherry or raspberry), and I have found goes well with sour beers (although I've not made more than 3 gallons with fruit at one time).

Make what you feel you want to drink, but from my experience, the pursuit of a 'great' fruit beer is not worth it. There are not many on the commercial market; probably because they just don't work very well.

This from somebody who put 6 lbs of fruit on 1.5 gallons of beer.

This from somebody who put 6 lbs of fruit on 1.5 gallons of beer.

Yes, but it is a sour, and as I noted, it goes well in a sour. I was clearing out a load of fruit from the freezer. I will be topping up the fermenter with some beer next week. Total volume including the fruit will be just shy of 3 gallons.

I make a clone of Dry Dock's Apricot Blonde. It calls for a big can of pureed apricots, as well as a smaller bottle of apricot extract. It turns out just right for most people.

Cool Thanx. One more question, reciepe calls for one week in secondary. Since I added the apricot should u give it two weeks or stick to one.

Back